Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ftfarmer22, Apr 14, 2016.

1. RanchRichey

RanchRichey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Ok. I will. It's also early, I'll get some individuals at week 4.

Thanks ;)

Can you please do individual pictures? It's really hard to list all the genders when they are all in the same picture.[/quote]

2. kegmanatee

kegmanatee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Missouri
    I got some better pics today. This is the bigger one I think is a pullet [​IMG][​IMG]

And this is the smaller one I'm not sure about[​IMG][/IMG]

3. kegmanatee

kegmanatee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

4. jhomestead

jhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    NC
    I have 12 birds that range from 2.5 weeks to about 5 weeks. I know the youngest are probably too early, however 7 are blue chicks from a Splash Rooster and a Barred Rock mom. Thus, I'm curious if any of the sexing traits of barred rocks or sexlinks apply. The other 5 are Easter Eggers. Let me know what you think and I can post again in a few weeks.

Blue Chick 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Chick 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wheaton Easter Egger Chick 3 (4 weeks):
    [​IMG]
    Blue Chick 4 (Largest of the Birds):
    [​IMG]
    Blue Chick 5:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blue Chick 6:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Easter Egger Chick 7:
    [​IMG]
    Easter Egger Chick 8:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Easter Egger Chick 9:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick 10 Lavendar Easter Egger (5 weeks):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Chick 11:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Chick 12:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS!

5. captfc

captfc New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    I have had people tell me its was a roo because of the tail feathers, i am really hoping for a hen but i am unsure "at this point" the hackle feathers look like some are rounded and some are pointed. please tell me more if you can.
    Thanks

6. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I think it's a hen because roosters at this age would have bright red combs and wattles, but hers are a pink color. But at the same time it has a rooster tail arch, and it's crowing, Although I have heard of a hens that crow. This is one of the hardest chickens I have gendered before, but if I had to give you my best guess on gender I would probably say rooster.. I know before I said hen but now that I'm rethinking it, a hen wouldn't have such a tail arch and most likely wouldn't crow.

7. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Are you sure they are are 4 weeks old? They are way to underdeveloped for me to help you out. If you could post pictures in a week or two that would be helpful. Thanks!

8. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    But as of right now they look to be all pullets.

9. jhomestead

jhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    NC
    At the top of the post I explained about the age ranges, but I know that birds which are sexlinks or have certain breed specific traits can be sexed from a much earlier age. So I was just wondering what people thought. Thanks.

10. trix-aus

trix-aus New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm brand new to chooks. 21 Feb 2016 we purchased two birds we were told were 5 & 1/2 month old pullets. One Barred Plymouth Rock and one Australorp. Two months on they haven't laid any eggs and both are crowing every morning starting about an hour and a half before dawn. It’s not a full crow – more of a “cock a doodle” without the final “doo". They don’t crow during the day (except yesterday when I played them a YouTube of roosters crowing). The Australorp grumbles all day and tries to boss the 8 younger chickens (2 months old) around but they just get out of its way. The Barred Rock has big goober feet (as per other posts indicating a rooster) and seems to have only one interest in life - rolled oats. Are they pullets or cockerels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by