Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

My husband and I ordered ornamental and brown egg layers and; although, it's kind of been a fun guessing game as to what each of their breeds are with their feathers coming in, we think we may have a couple now who won't be laying any eggs for us. All 41 of our chicks are approximately 7 weeks old now (they all hatched on March 28) and the two we're questioning are possibly a Lakenvelders and a Cuckoo Marans. How can we tell for sure?

Both have very red combs for their ages. Pullets do not start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs. Plus, the Marans has too light of barring to be a pullet. Both are cockerels.

Here is a 5 week old frizzle

Here's a 5 week old I think smooth frizzle

I hope both pullets
1f644.png
Pretty sure the white is a cockerel.

Silkie #2

They are 10+ weeks. Thought I hade one male, one female. Now I'm not so sure. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
7.5 week old RIR. Still not sure either way. Not a lot of black on neck or tail feathers. Comb is growing back a bit.

Both have very red combs for their ages. Pullets do not start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs. Plus, the Marans has too light of barring to be a pullet. Both are cockerels.

Thank you, junebuggena. My husband isn't exactly thrilled with the idea of having one, let alone two, roos; however, this does help with deciding on names for them. :) Cuckoo Marans: Sam (my kids were asking and praying for a rooster); Lakenvelder: Isaac (laughing because my kids now have two of them). They are both so sweet right now, especially Isaac who wants to be held so much of the time. I'm hoping they both stay this way.

Back
Top Bottom