Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

We're at almost 5 weeks now. Is there usually a size difference between pullets and cockerels? My 4 chicks are all the same size, but 1 was late to feather and has a more pronounced comb.

Suspected roo -

Two of the other girls -

It's so hard to be patient! And it's only an issue because I absolutely cannot have a rooster where I live, although I really wish I could!

#1 Breed is golden laced Cochin about one month old or a little older. Any guesses

#2 also a golden laced Cochin same age

One more speckled sussex that I'm curious about

Out of the 8 sussex that I have one is very clearly a rooster with uneven feathering, more rounded body, hardly any tail feathers, and has the pinkest comb and wattles of them all. The other 7 are feathered evenly have pretty decent tail feathers and seem to have a more elongated body. With them being about 4/5 weeks old are the ones with the slightly larger, pinkish combs definitely cockerels or is there even the slightest chance they may still turn out to be pullets?

Help sexing?

Unknown breed, 5-6 weeks

Unknown breed, 5-6 weeks
[

Unknown breed, 5-6 weeks

Barred rock is obviously a Roo, already stated crowing at 4 weeks

We're at almost 5 weeks now. Is there usually a size difference between pullets and cockerels? My 4 chicks are all the same size, but 1 was late to feather and has a more pronounced comb.

Suspected roo -

Two of the other girls -

It's so hard to be patient! And it's only an issue because I absolutely cannot have a rooster where I live, although I really wish I could!

I think your guess is right.

#1 Breed is golden laced Cochin about one month old or a little older. Any guesses

#2 also a golden laced Cochin same age

Pullets, I think

Help sexing? Unknown breed, 5-6 weeks

Cockerels, i think.

Hopefully none of my guesses got mixed up. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep and it is already 10PM :p

Last edited:
I just picked up my crew today :) All about 9 weeks old. Roos aren't a problem here, but curiosity and all :)

Chick 1 - Dark Brahma. Thinking pullet.

Chick 2 - Speckled Sussex #1 - Thinking pullet.

Chick 3 - Speckled Sussex #2 - Thinking pullet.

Chick 4 - Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - Thinking roo?

I'm really inexperienced, but it is my understanding that your splash rooster (non-barred) over a barred hen produces solid blue color females and blue barred boys with a white dot/spot on back of head. Based upon that, you should be able to tell the boys from the girls. Looks like several have barring. They are beautiful!!!
Update on these 12. They are now mostly 5 weeks old with a few being a little older. I also had read the information above about blue/barred, but was also told if my birds are mixes they might not breed true to these specifications. And I have some that seem not to fit those traits. Tell me what you guys think! Here they are now:

Chick 1: Blue Chick (While totally blue in color..."she" has an awfully large and red comb to be a girl)

Chick 2: Blue Chick (Possible Barring)

Chick 3: Wheaton Easter Egger

Chick 4: Blue Chick

Chick 5: Blue Chick

Chick 6: Blue Chick

Chick 7:Splash Easter Egger (front)

Chick 8: Easter Egger

Chick 9: Easter Egger

Chick 10: Lavender Easter Egger

Chick 11: Blue Chick (Possible Barring)

Chick 12: Blue Chick

Back