Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I tried at 6 weeks and that's when we lost one. That was only 2 nights in the coop. I'm still learning as I go.
1f615.png
So they need plenty of space to get away. Ok. I may just leave my current flock alone and find a new home for my pretty boy

You don't just throw them in at 6 weeks and hope. You use the same integration process that I described previously, but it goes much quicker with young chicks. Multiple feeders and waterers help reduce territorial behavior, and they need spots where they can get away from the big ones, but not trapped in.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to design some new additions to the coop. Hopefully it works out for the best. They are all so sweet individually

Integration needs to be done gradually. If you can, set up a temporary run and coop for the young ones right next to the adult coop/run. Let them live next to each other for a few weeks. Then you can let the younger ones into the adult run, while still having the escape of their own run. In another 2 weeks, they should be voluntarily roosting in the adult coop. I find it much easier to induce chicks when they are 4 to 6 weeks old rather than waiting till they are 'teenagers'.

You don't just throw them in at 6 weeks and hope. You use the same integration process that I described previously, but it goes much quicker with young chicks. Multiple feeders and waterers help reduce territorial behavior, and they need spots where they can get away from the big ones, but not trapped in. 

X2

Forgive the terrible pix, they won't sit still. I have 2 little plymouth rock chics i'm hoping to have sexed. i thought pullets but i'm terrible at telling, anyone know?

Chick #1

Chick #2

I have 3 straight run english orpingtons at about 6 weeks old. they have been very slow to feather out. Can you help identify their genders?

Chick #1 Jubilee orpington

Chick # 2 Black Orpington
biggest chick, more feathers, larger legs.

Black Orpington #3
most active chick, likes to climb and/or snuggle

All three chicks on my couch

Thank you for helping.

Last edited:
I have 3 straight run english orpingtons at about 6 weeks old. they have been very slow to feather out. Can you help identify their genders?

Chick #1 Jubilee orpington

Chick # 2 Black Orpington
biggest chick, more feathers, larger legs.

Black Orpington #3
most active chick, likes to climb and/or snuggle

All three chicks on my couch

Thank you for helping.
Still much too young. And not 6 weeks old. More like 4 weeks. Are you keeping them too warm?

I have two chicks hatched by a broody hen that didn't lay either egg lol. They have different mommas and are just almost 16 weeks old. What do you think I've got?? Thanks!! rmbrasher

Number 1

Number 2

Numbers1 & 2

Back
Top Bottom