Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Thank you, Junebuggena! Bummer! I was hoping the red one would end up being a pullet... He has such interesting markings with that white on his wings. Oh well! Thanks again for the help!! Rmbrasher

You are right they are closer to 4 weeks, I was getting their hatch date confused. These babies were hatched August 12- 15. I will be patient and try to photograph in a couple more weeks. thank you.

Not sure if they're a Rooster or Hen! Super sweet, about 2-3 months old but has a huge comb+wattle compared to other chickens! Any help is appreciated!

I have 3 straight run english orpingtons at about 6 weeks old. they have been very slow to feather out. Can you help identify their genders? Chick #1 Jubilee orpington Chick # 2 Black Orpington biggest chick, more feathers, larger legs. Black Orpington #3 most active chick, likes to climb and/or snuggle All three chicks on my couch Thank you for helping.
Orpingtons are pretty slow developing. The males do have the slow feathering gene though. I've found as early as a few weeks that the females feather in faster. It's still very early but I'm guessing the 2 blacks are female and the jubilee is male.

@junebuggena can a bird that does not appear frizzled carry the frizzle gene and create frizzled offspring? Would it take 2 carriers (both parents appear smooth)?

@junebuggena can a bird that does not appear frizzled carry the frizzle gene and create frizzled offspring? Would it take 2 carriers (both parents appear smooth)?
The frizzle gene is a dominant one. It only needs one copy of the gene to express. Frizzle to Frizzle breedings should never be done. Two copies of the Frizzle gene causes all sorts of health problems.
A smooth feathered bird is not carrying the Frizzle gene.

The frizzle gene is a dominant one. It only needs one copy of the gene to express. Frizzle to Frizzle breedings should never be done. Two copies of the Frizzle gene causes all sorts of health problems.
A smooth feathered bird is not carrying the Frizzle gene.

Ok thanks. I know the warnings about breeding two frizzles together (I won't do it, although there are those who disagree about the problems caused), I was trying to confirm if one could be a carrier without expressing it. So I am safe to breed my frizzle cock with his smooth daughters. Thanks for your quick help!

Back
Top Bottom