Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Hello, Here's some better pictures of this white leghorn. Hoping it's not a roo but I have my suspicions. Thank you!!
White Rock cockerel, as junebuggena said.
Here I am again, my last 2 chicks out of 8 are now crowing so looks like I've some how ended up with 8/8 males (total that hatched, nothing dodgy here!) I've posted these pics elsewhere but would love any thoughts here too, thanks.... Quinn: Jet: Our remaining 5 together after 3 boys rehomed so far... Thanks!
Definitely all boys. Ouch, 8/8 is bad hatch for sure! Better luck next time.

I was thinking the blue on the neck made it a rooster
If you are referring to the bright aqua that is an ear and it's a silkie trait for both genders. Spend some time reading up on silkies they're quite cool birds.
This chick is a little over month old and I wasn't sure if anyone could tell. (Supposed to be a silkie)
That is a silkie and guessing by the rate it's feathering in compared to the others and it's comb size I would say a cockeral. That being said silkies are cull of surprises when it comes to gender.
Pepper is not a cockerel.......Pepper is a pullet! my stupid self has been thinking cockerel the whole to until i found her idintical hen :lol:
I'm guessing Pepper is a pullet and I too have a Pepper look alike
This is Belle
thanks for asking I am really torn.. about what to do.. I have 8 hens... 4 orpingtons 2 austrolorpes 1 ee and 1 silkie the two kids that turned out to be roos are silkies.. and I thought well, silkies are sweet and won't be aggressive.. but the two roos are facing off a lot.. and Lawrence is being aggressive towards the ladies.. Crowing etc. no problem where we live.. I might add there are different ages and sizes.. Lawrence (my for sure roo) takes after the largest orpington who has been the HBIC till Lawrence discovered he could crow and got all grumpy. MY husband thinks we should re-home him.. seems like that is the advice.. opinions welcome... .. not a fan of culling him...
Okay if you're new to chickens and especially cockerals then it might be helpful for you to be told this... While a very rare cockeral is a natural with the ladies learning to woo the girls can be very graphic and for this reason many people move cockerals that have just gotten a dose of testosterone (which they don't understand and don't know what to do with) into a bachelor pad to grow up a bit before joining the ladies. In a flock with a mature rooster(or mature hens) he will usually keep the cockerals in check and they will learn from him. Not having a teacher or anyone to stop them give your cockerals some time before you decide which to keep. I know it's hard and if you can separate them for a while that can be very helpful. Pullets mature more slowly and your cockerals don't have any adults to guide them and no one to try their affections out on. We give them what we call a grace period unless they're causing harm to the girls then they get locked up.
This little guy is 7 weeks today. Im sure it is too early to tell gender but I'm new to silkie mixes.
Thanks!
I'm guessing pullet, however it does have more of a roo stance but some of our silkie pullets do as well.
It's behavior screens pullet. This thing is terrified of everything even the wind blowing. Crazy thing
Also you would be scared of the wind too if you couldn't see in front of you lol. We have have both ends of the spectrum as far as silkies go. Very calm. And spazzes. Lol
Anyone want to take a guess on these two now? I still have no idea. They are Orpingtons, about 10 weeks old now.
Are they English? I'm guessing pullets. May I ask where you got them? I love your splash. If it's a cockeral I'd take him. Been looking for some nice blues or splashes that won't cost my first born lol.
Hello guys I would like to share my new baby hatched this morning. Black silkie hen and I'm not sure what roo I have a buff silkie white silkie and a blk and white frizzle roo. Baby does have 5 toes any suggestions
[/IMG]
Do all of your silkies have black/dark skin? If so I would guess the frizzle is the father.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the bright aqua that is an ear and it's a silkie trait for both genders. Spend some time reading up on silkies they're quite cool birds.
That is a silkie and guessing by the rate it's feathering in compared to the others and it's comb size I would say a cockeral. That being said silkies are cull of surprises when it comes to gender.
I'm guessing Pepper is a pullet and I too have a Pepper look alike

This is Belle
Okay if you're new to chickens and especially cockerals then it might be helpful for you to be told this...

While a very rare cockeral is a natural with the ladies learning to woo the girls can be very graphic and for this reason many people move cockerals that have just gotten a dose of testosterone (which they don't understand and don't know what to do with) into a bachelor pad to grow up a bit before joining the ladies. In a flock with a mature rooster(or mature hens) he will usually keep the cockerals in check and they will learn from him. Not having a teacher or anyone to stop them give your cockerals some time before you decide which to keep. I know it's hard and if you can separate them for a while that can be very helpful. Pullets mature more slowly and your cockerals don't have any adults to guide them and no one to try their affections out on. We give them what we call a grace period unless they're causing harm to the girls then they get locked up.
I'm guessing pullet, however it does have more of a roo stance but some of our silkie pullets do as well.
Also you would be scared of the wind too if you couldn't see in front of you lol. We have have both ends of the spectrum as far as silkies go. Very calm. And spazzes. Lol
Are they English? I'm guessing pullets. May I ask where you got them? I love your splash. If it's a cockeral I'd take him. Been looking for some nice blues or splashes that won't cost my first born lol.
Do all of your silkies have black/dark skin? If so I would guess the frizzle is the father.

Yes, the orps are English. I was pretty sure the black one was a pullet; sadly she was just killed by a predator. I still have no idea what the splash is! It is either a very slow developing cockerel or a pullet with a larger than average comb. Its comb is getting larger but still quite pale. I got them from Papa's Poultry if you are interested in ordering any. :) I think Wisconsin is a bit far for me to ship since I really have no experience shipping chickens! (I am in California).

Hello, I have 2 layers we got as chicks so new to the rooster thread. I acquired a box of 9 chicks and am now wondering how many roosters I have...based on the feathers and comb and waddle color I have my guess..can you help me on these pictures please? Thanks.

#1 pullet? rounded feathers and not much red

#2 pullets I'm hoping with the rounded feathers

#3 is the white one a roo? Brown one a pullet?

#4 these 2 play tricks with my eyes...speckled one a pullet or both Roos?

#5 pullet?

#6 pullet?

Back
Top Bottom