Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Another post about Roxie... I think she is 4-6 months old...We have had her for 6 weeks. First photo from 6 weeks ago, 2nd from now. She(he) tried to crow I think 2 days but has not since.

Looks like a rooster. Super cute though!

My dog killed Pat and another hen. I had no idea they would be so vicious. They are a border collie / lab mix. Do I now think that my dogs are bad dogs? We have sense secure the area better, but I feel horrible about it. It was totally our fault. I let the chickens free range and unfortunately my husband let the dogs out and did not know. This is so on my conscience. I really lost it.

My dog killed Pat and another hen. I had no idea they would be so vicious. They are a border collie / lab mix. Do I now think that my dogs are bad dogs? We have sense secure the area better, but I feel horrible about it. It was totally our fault. I let the chickens free range and unfortunately my husband let the dogs out and did not know. This is so on my conscience. I really lost it.

Your dogs are just doing what dogs do instinctually. Sometimes you can train them not to mess with your chickens but with lab in them there instinct is to chase them, they roust ducks up for hunters.its what they're bred for..And with border collie they want to herd them up as they are bred for herding. Sometimes not even meaning to kill just to play, also. Better to be safe and secure the birds or them when they can see the birds, especially. I am, however,So sorry for your loss. I had this happen once many years ago when my dog broke her run. And I thought my chickens coop was secure, but she tore thru the side of it. Don't beat yourself up it happens to best of us from time to time.

Last edited:

Front one was blue when born... back one is black

Black

Blue left black right

Both purebred Australorps from my flock. 5 and a half weeks old. Im thinking blue is a cockerel and black is a pullet

Last edited:
So this hopefully little lady is going to be 7 weeks old on Wednesday this week and I'm starting to think she might be a he. My other four are not RIRs so I don't have anything to compare to. The gentalman I got them from said he was 90 percent sure they were all female but you never know.
Thanks in advance for the help!!!
1f918.png

Back
Top Bottom