Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

?Roo

I think my bachelor pad is growing!
I rescued 14 bantam chicks that the feed store just gave to me because they weren't selling. I was able to separate 6 cockerals initially based on size and comb. I had 3 gold laced seabrights. I wasn't too sure about them because they all looked the same. Now at 8 weeks old,, 2 have developed red rose combs and waffles....so I'm guessing now I have 2 new gentlemen to add to bachelor pad. Pictures posted...just for verification.

This is not red, this is pink and a very normal amount of pullet growth at 8 weeks.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the world of chickens. I ordered 8 pullets from a hatchery on April 1. That would make my girls 5 weeks old yesterday. One of the smallest SS that I ordered just had a huge growth spurt and her comb is significantly larger than her sisters'. I'm worried my she is a he at this point. I really did not want a rooster in my flock. Just wanted to get some of your opinions. I'm posting two different chicks. The one with the larger comb is Nugget and the other is my largest chick and the alpha. Her name is Queen B. I'm worried that Nugget is a roo :-/. Let me know what you think!

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I thought I'd run it through anyway. I have 4 or 5 week old chicks and I'm thinking a boy has slipped in with the dominiques. There are cuckoo marans in the mix just to make it more confusing.
tongue.png
The others are welsummers. The only disappointment would be that I was hoping if I did get a roo in the batch, it would be a chocolate egg to breed with my EEs for olive eggs next year. Oh well...

Also, the critter next to my suspected boy is kind of in between with color and slight waddle development but I'm still hopeful she's a she. I didn't get the feet but they're darker like the rest.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the world of chickens. I ordered 8 pullets from a hatchery on April 1. That would make my girls 5 weeks old yesterday. One of the smallest SS that I ordered just had a huge growth spurt and her comb is significantly larger than her sisters'. I'm worried my she is a he at this point. I really did not want a rooster in my flock. Just wanted to get some of your opinions. I'm posting two different chicks. The one with the larger comb is Nugget and the other is my largest chick and the alpha. Her name is Queen B. I'm worried that Nugget is a roo :-/. Let me know what you think!

When that much comb pops up suddenly on such a young chick, I foresee crowing in his future.

Back
Top Bottom