Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

how many cockerels can you see off hand? They are a Seramas /Silkie OEG mix. Dad is OEG. All feathered out like pullets I've had before. 4 weeks old today. Hoping for at least a pullet or two.
IMG_20171230_165740.jpg
Screenshot_2017-12-30-17-45-54.png
IMG_20171230_165740.jpg
Screenshot_2017-12-30-17-45-54.png
Screenshot_2017-12-30-17-46-01.png
IMG_20171230_165740.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_165800.jpg
    IMG_20171230_165800.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 8
I normally can tell the gender of my chicks around 4 weeks, but my fall hatch has been the toughest. Here they were at 7 weeks when all but the purple one still looked female.
IMG_5307 copy.jpg

I discovered the secret to getting a high % females was to want a nice male for breeding. They are now 14 weeks old. Purple is the only confirmed male, but he has a lot of gold leakage & can't be used for breeding. I sold the 6 females and kept the male and the one ???? that I hope is male.

Here's the confirmed male to compare:
Notice how big the wattles are & the color of his comb.
IMG_6188.jpg

Here's the ???? male:
The wattles are big, the comb is more medium, and the color is not as red as the male.
No crowing, but we have a mature roo in the flock, so that doesn't mean much.
IMG_6262.jpg

The ???? roo is in front & 2 sisters behind him.
IMG_6195.jpg
IMG_6196.jpg

I'm getting a sinking feeling that this "roo" might be a pullet. It does not yet have the awkward leggy stance. No saddle feathers at all - even when closely inspecting & digging through back feathers. (The confirmed roo's saddle feathers can easily be seen from a distance.)

IMG_6039.JPG
IMG_6041.JPG

So, What do you think the gender might be?

Attachments

• IMG_5844 (2).jpg
    IMG_5844 (2).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8
I normally can tell the gender of my chicks around 4 weeks, but my fall hatch has been the toughest. Here they were at 7 weeks when all but the purple one still looked female.View attachment 1224609

I discovered the secret to getting a high % females was to want a nice male for breeding. They are now 14 weeks old. Purple is the only confirmed male, but he has a lot of gold leakage & can't be used for breeding. I sold the 6 females and kept the male and the one ???? that I hope is male.

Here's the confirmed male to compare:
Notice how big the wattles are & the color of his comb.
View attachment 1224602

Here's the ???? male:
The wattles are big, the comb is more medium, and the color is not as red as the male.
No crowing, but we have a mature roo in the flock, so that doesn't mean much.
View attachment 1224605
The ???? roo is in front & 2 sisters behind him.
View attachment 1224603 View attachment 1224604

I'm getting a sinking feeling that this "roo" might be a pullet. It does not yet have the awkward leggy stance. No saddle feathers at all - even when closely inspecting & digging through back feathers. (The confirmed roo's saddle feathers can easily be seen from a distance.)

View attachment 1224635 View attachment 1224636

So, What do you think the gender might be?
How old are they in the photos after the 7 week old photos?

Most of the pics I posted above are recent (14 weeks)

The last one at the bottom was at about 11 weeks (posted again here). At that time, I was thinking 2 males (both on the left) It's 3 weeks later & I'm reconsidering the gender of middle one.View attachment 1224833
I'm not sure if it's different for the breed you have but they are quite red for their ages. I circled some feathers on one of them that sort of look long and pointy like rooster feathers. Maybe if you could get some photos of their backs it'll help. Otherwise I don't really see any major rooster giveaway signs compared to your other rooster

IMG_1731.JPG

Mine tend to have larger wattles & combs. The lighter colored birds (like white & lavender) also seem to have flesh that looks more pink than the darker feathered ones.

Here's what my avg 10 wk old cockerel should look like. Usually by then the combs are red (not pink) and they have a very leggy look until they fill out.
Moose 10 wk b.JPG

Here's a pullet of the same age.
sweetie at 9 wks.JPG

So my ???? male has very male-looking wattles - but that's about all. I think the cold weather could be slowing down the rate of maturation. (That's my theory anyway.)
Here are some pics from tonight (14.5 weeks old).
IMG_6288.jpg

The confirmed male (gold leakage guy) has that leggy shape when standing alert. Both have thick-ish legs.
IMG_6296.jpg

The confirmed male also has easy to see saddle feathers.
IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6308.jpg

Bizarre question... I have had "chickens" in the past that never crowed, nor layed an egg. I assumed, lower rung roos, they were smaller than the head roo.

Now I have what I thought was for sure a Sultan Roo, because first the type of top hat. I think I see some saddle feathers on one side, but no hackles....? His hatch mate is a little Game Bantam and they are a total pair, never apart. He doesn't crow and I have not seen him dance or tread.

What's the scoop?
Oh and I have a Sultan Ameraucana cross, same type of top hat, but all round feathers, also no sign of hackle or saddles at about 6 months. Pullet?

Attachments

• sultan1.jpg
    sultan1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 9
  • sultan2.jpg
    sultan2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 9
  • sultan3.jpg
    sultan3.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Back