Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Hi. I got what I thought were 2 black sex link chicks. They are developing feathers in a very different way. I’m worried one is a Roo of a different breed. They are 5-6 weeks old. Thoughts? Dolly has the larger comb and Dottie has a more developed tail.
Thanks
Holly
They do look different. Were they from a hatchery? Rare for them to make mistakes with sexlinks, and you're right, it would have to be a different breed... male would be barred.
Think you can be pretty sure the one with the small comb is a female. The other sure has thick legs and big comb by comparison, but if they were mine, I'd wait another week or two to be certain... see if that comb keeps growing and turns red. You might just have a hulking pullet. Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you Wishing4Wings! I will get better pictures when they are older, about how old do the Brahmas need to be?
Maybe try back in a week or so. I am used to EEs, which tend to mature more quickly. I found you an excellent picture of the difference in combs between a 6 wk male and female Brahma. Male has a wider lumpy comb with 3 rows and pink. Female has a single narrow ridge on the comb and no pink at all. Once you learn to see it, you can't unsee it. :)
Jan 19, 2010 #4

Hi. I got what I thought were 2 black sex link chicks. They are developing feathers in a very different way. I’m worried one is a Roo of a different breed. They are 5-6 weeks old. Thoughts? Dolly has the larger comb and Dottie has a more developed tail.
Thanks
Holly
I don't think they're BSL, I think they're "Asian Black"... I hope I'm wrong.

They do look different. Were they from a hatchery? Rare for them to make mistakes with sexlinks, and you're right, it would have to be a different breed... male would be barred.
Think you can be pretty sure the one with the small comb is a female. The other sure has thick legs and big comb by comparison, but if they were mine, I'd wait another week or two to be certain... see if that comb keeps growing and turns red. You might just have a hulking pullet. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks. I was nervous with my first chicks last year. Hoping I’m wrong.

View attachment 1378277 View attachment 1378278

View attachment 1378280
Okay here’s mine...I got 3 Salmon Faverolles at 3 days old from a local hatchery. 1 I know is a cockerel and 1 I know is a pullet (coloring). The 3rd feathered out right along with the known pullet, while the cockerel too his sweet time. They are 5 weeks now if she didn’t have such a red comb I would still believe she is a she even with her coloring because she still looks exactly like the known pullet.

1st pic is Lois, the chick in question. Then Lois and the true pullet, Carol. Then Jackie, the cockerel.

Thoughts?
I feel like Lois could go either way, post more in a week or two? :)

Thanks
Holly
It is possible one will just have a bigger comb as an adult and the way chicks feather doesnt accurately determine the sex (sometimes but not always) I think we will have to watch carefully to see how it develops over the next couple weeks

6 1/2 weeks silkies
I believe chicks 1&2 may be male. They just look prettier. Chick 3 is DD's fav, so I'm hoping it's a female.

Chick 1: (Click to enlarge)
IMG_8881.JPG IMG_8886.JPG IMG_8889.JPG

chick 2:
IMG_8891.JPG IMG_8893.JPG IMG_8894.JPG

chick 3:
IMG_8895.JPG IMG_8908.JPG
IMG_8897.JPG IMG_8905.JPG

We actually have 5 silkies. It's not the best pic, but the smaller one on the right is the only one I'm pretty sure is male. His comb is very wide. Chick #2 standing on the left and #1 in back.

IMG_8876.JPG

6 1/2 weeks silkies
I believe chicks 1&2 may be male. They just look prettier. Chick 3 is DD's fav, so I'm hoping it's a female.

Chick 1: (Click to enlarge)
View attachment 1381683 View attachment 1381684 View attachment 1381685

chick 2:
View attachment 1381694 View attachment 1381695 View attachment 1381697

chick 3:
View attachment 1381698 View attachment 1381701
View attachment 1381699 View attachment 1381700

We actually have 5 silkies. It's not the best pic, but the smaller one on the right is the only one I'm pretty sure is male. His comb is very wide. Chick #2 standing on the left and #1 in back.

View attachment 1381706
The comb should be wide but flat in shape and not changing rapidly. I see what you mean about #2 and it does look like the comb is already getting puffy. That one is probably a male. But, it's much too soon to count your pullets.

Back
Top Bottom