Not sure something is wrong

She might take awhile to get better, if she's going to make it.
If she does have coccidiosis, depending on how badly she was (infected..?)
will decide if she pulls through.... it might take 10 days to a week or more...
You might try giving her some pure maple syrup... it always seems to give them a little pick me up.... (not a cure, just a little energy).
Love an attention also does wonders, and a little prayer.. = )

Thanks Mustang56. Today is day 7 of the Corid water mix, should I continue or stop? And if it's something else how will I know? I've researched mites and respiratory but does not like it.

stop the corrid... our bottle says 5 days..
if things don't get better, I'd do it again in 10 days... for 5 more days...
I know people use this as a preventative, but we have to do research to find out how often they do it....
How is she today...?

Treatment
There are many drugs available on the market to prevent and treat coccidia. You use a higher dose when trying to treat coccidia than you do when trying to prevent it. The other difference is that when using these medications for treatment you will want to put them in the birds water rather than in the feed. It is also recommended to increase the amount of Vitamin A and K that the birds receive to help boost their immunity.

She is the same, she eats, drinks and poos. She gets up and walks around some but she still lays down more than she's up. The other 5 are as normal as ever. My sis and I went to check out a new feed store (well, new to us) and while checking out the vitamins, etc., we were talking to one of the employees there. He has 45 chickens that he raises and sells the eggs and or chicks to the feed store. Anyway, he said that maybe she was becoming broody but I told him that she was only 2 months old. That wouldn't be possible would it?

Oh and I did feed them a spoonful of plain yogurt with some pure maple syrup drizzled on it. I hope it was okay for the other girls to eat it too? They loved it! I think if they could have licked out the bowl, they would have!

No I don't think broody.... but hey who knows..!
I think eating and drinking is still a very good sign....
usually if the birds are going to die, they continue to go down hill and get worse...
some improved quickly, others took longer.
If it wasn't or isn't coccidiosis.... at least you know you did what you need to do if they did have it, and it doesn't harm them...
The other is a maybe a vitamin deficiency of some sort... which poly vi sol no iron will help with that... I always give any sick bird maple syrup.... it always seems to help some.
Its also good for dogs having a seizure...
I'm glad you birds liked it... !!!

Okay, now I'm all confused and possibly worried. I went and read the article that mustang56 marked and maybe its possible? But why aren't they all sick then? The girls (I thought they were pullets at that age) stay in a large pen with pine shavings over dirt. We feed them layer crumbles and supply grit and oyster shells. I don't put acv in the water, read pros and cons but just wasn't sure. We give them greens one or two times a day. So giving them corrid even if they aren't sick Wont hurt them?
I have a similar situation with my chicks. Out of 4, only 1 showed signs of cocci. I treated them all because if one has it, assume the rest have the protozoa as well. Just that one was more susceptible. I treated, then followed up with vitamins/minerals/electrolytes/probiotics to help balance their gut. If it were me (and it was) I'd treat as a "just in case" philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom