Not sure something is wrong

Because we don't know.... it doesn't harm the chicks to give them corrid and be on the safe side... and may save their life if it is coccidiosis. Not eating as much and tucking the head in, are some signs of coccidiosis... Im sorry that you don't agree that it could be... I sent he or she to look at the link and they can decide for themselves... When my birds are overheated, we wet them down and feed them frozen peas and cold watermelon in the summer... It could be heat, but the next day also.... when its cooled off...?
Could be, but my chickens aren't acting like they are suffering from the day before ...

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. This is all new to me, my husband and sister, though my sister and I are the chicken parents. I think we'll try waiting and seeing how she does. I tend to agree with Colonel-Sanders, I don't know how she would have gotten coccidiosis. I read about it but can't exactly remember what it is. Thanks again!

Okay, now I'm all confused and possibly worried. I went and read the article that mustang56 marked and maybe its possible? But why aren't they all sick then? The girls (I thought they were pullets at that age) stay in a large pen with pine shavings over dirt. We feed them layer crumbles and supply grit and oyster shells. I don't put acv in the water, read pros and cons but just wasn't sure. We give them greens one or two times a day. So giving them corrid even if they aren't sick Wont hurt them?

no it wont hurt them... many use it as a preventative at half the dosage...
I believe its usual for up to 7 month old.... older birds over 7 months dont usually get it... Listen, I dont know if it is or not, but if it were me, I'd give it to them all just in case.... Some chicks don't show any signs and then just drop dead and you wonder why.... If its only over heated from yesterday, you can always cool them down... if its cossidiosis and they aren't treated, they might die... take care and the best to your little one , hope nothing at all is wrong with them...

Oh sorry! I put corrid in the water yesterday and today. Lara seems more chipper but still not like she was. The directions said to go for 21 days for full treatment and 5 days for preventative, how long should I go for chickens? I used the amount for the full treatment. As a new chicken mom, I want to make sure I'm doing my girls right.

I'm not sure what dosage you are following for your Corid treatment. As far as I know, the dosage on the packaging of Corid is for cattle. Dosage for Poultry is different.

Corid dosage for Poultry is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

For more info about poultry dosages see this thread: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

I guess I should have clarified, I searched online because the pkg. only had directions for cattle. Though different articles said 1 tsp. per gallon (I have the powder) and another said 2 tsp. I went with the lower dose.

Thank you everyone for your help.

The other 5 are doing fantastic. Lara, I'm not so sure...she lays around when she's not eating or drinking. At least she eats and drinks! When she's laying, her little tail quivers and when my sister picked her up and I checked her out she would open and close her mouth like she was trying to chirp. One of them has diarrhea (it's probably her) but it's not bloody, just regular brown. Someone please tell me I'm worrying for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom