Not sure what happened.... First hatch

imlovinmyskin

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2016
Sacramento, CA
Our first hatch was a dud... Call it learning curve. Temp and humidity issues to work through. We opened six eggs and they were all developed to the point with feathers. I was wondering if I posted pics if there are people who would be able to tell what went wrong.

I have tried to compare the timeline pics to my pics but I don't really know what I am looking at yet. I didn't want to post the pics without "permission" as I am new to forums and not sure if this is the place for that type of question.

Temp was 93 for first 6 days... Finally got it to 99.5 on day 7 And had movement in a few moving on day 20... But none hatched.

Just a guess but I would plug in my incubator several days before setting eggs to get it stable temperature wise.
I have the same incubator, by the way, and for my next hatch I am putting a 7W heat pad in the bottom where the water tray usually goes. I hate how long it takes to get back up to temperature after opening. I don't feel like that puny 23W heat coil is up to the job.

I'm guessing the low temps for the first week caused too much of a delay, but there might have been humidity issues, too.

I agree with the above poster - before next hatch make sure you get the temperature stable. Make sure you are checking the temps with a calibrated thermometer.

Having the incubator in the most stable room in your house, away from windows or drafts can help. You might also try heat sinks - jars of water or flat stones to absorb and release heat when needed.

I'm guessing the low temps for the first week caused too much of a delay, but there might have been humidity issues, too.

I agree with the above poster - before next hatch make sure you get the temperature stable.  Make sure you are checking the temps with a calibrated thermometer.

Having the incubator in the most stable room in your house, away from windows or drafts can help.  You might also try heat sinks - jars of water or flat stones to absorb and release heat when needed.

I definitely had humidity issues with first batch. Thanks so much for the feedback...

Maybe you can help with my next question... Second hatch bator was perfect temp but humidity was around 35-45 because that's what I was told (borrowed equipment) on day 18 I increased humidity to 75%... All was going great.. Checked it several times before bed... Woke up Saturday to 35% Humidity :(..... Got it back up quickly but I'm so worried the drop killed them or suffocated them. Since then I've kept them at 99.5 and 70-80%... Today is day 20... No peeps, no pips

Was hoping second hatch would have better results... I am tempted to candle/float them. Or should I just wait and see?

I'm so anxious... I didn't think it would be this hard.... Waiting is the worst but I have read so much and thought I had a better handle on this hatch I thought for sure I would hear peeping by now

Back
Top Bottom