Not sure what is going on.....very worried!

when my girl had this it looked red at first cause there was a thin skin like covering streched over the egg. Kinda like a third eye lid(?) with lubed finger I felt around till i found the opening & the egg & helped push it out from grabbing around the back of the egg from the outside of her body while keeping the skin area at the vent open over the egg. You must help her get the egg out-good luck!

when my girl had this it looked red at first cause there was a thin skin like covering streched over the egg. Kinda like a third eye lid(?) with lubed finger I felt around till i found the opening & the egg & helped push it out from grabbing around the back of the egg from the outside of her body while keeping the skin area at the vent open over the egg. You must help her get the egg out-good luck!
It's too late for that.
sad.png

It was too dark to really see alot...the porch light was not helping much. If she is not really nasty in the morning and I can stomach it I may try to see what I can see and find out what was going on in case it happens again and to post on here so if someone else has the issue. It isnt insensitive I was also wanting to know...at least she wouldn't die to learn nothing from it.

I will do a check tomorrow and post what I find...thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated!

so sorry. somehow i missed the last 3 post on page 4 before posting my comment. :(

It was an egg :( This would have been her first egg. It was a large+ size egg trying to come out of a bantam sized Araucana. I don't know if she could have ever passed the egg..... There was alot of fecal matter and some yellowish matter so I think she was backing up and getting septic/infection. ???? So now my question is am I doing something wrong to cause this? I have a chicken tractor with Purina layena food available 24/7 some grit and water of course (just plain water no apple cider vinegar or anything added) My birds are let out in the morning and they range all day. I have water available at various spots around the property where they range. I am aware that they do not eat much of their Layena food.....they are much more interested in ranging. Is there something I need to change or add?

Sounds like she has Coccidiosis. Are any other chickens acting the same way? You need to separate her from the rest of the flock and treat with Sulmet. We had a chicken that had a very similar problem. If you treat it within the first couple days they will be fine. If not, they will probably die. It can be passed to other birds through fecal matter, so make sure to separate the chicken.

Sounds like she has Coccidiosis. Are any other chickens acting the same way? You need to separate her from the rest of the flock and treat with Sulmet. We had a chicken that had a very similar problem. If you treat it within the first couple days they will be fine. If not, they will probably die. It can be passed to other birds through fecal matter, so make sure to separate the chicken.
Coccidiosis was not the problem, she was egg bound.

FWIW, Sulmet only treats 2 of the many types of coccidiosis that chickens get. Corid (amprolium) is a better a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom