Not sure what stages eggs are in. One hatched last week, another trying to hatch tonight but seems t

newbiejones

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
North Texas
We had a broody hen get off about 25 eggs a few weeks ago. We brought the eggs in and put them in an incubator and candled them a few days later and marked them the best we knew how. (we are totally new at this) So one of the eggs that we knew was further along hatched all on his own, perfectly. It has been about a week and the second egg has piped and is trying to get out. This one seems to be having some trouble. We had to take all of the eggs out of the turner and put them on the flat area once we had seen it pip a little. I know you aren't suppose to remove the lid but I did with the last one and it was fine. I'd rather do it so that it doesn't hatch and get stuck in the turner. anyways, Im thinking I might have to help this chick. The membrane is super thick. There weren't any holes in the inner membrane until I took a wet qtip and dabbed it a little. It was then able to make 2 small slits in the membrane. Its chirping and moving, trying to get out. It does look to be somewhat shrink wrapped. I hate to help it and hurt it. Im not exactly sure when the first pip happened. Its now 12:30am, I want to say it happened around 6pm. so its been about 6 hours without much improvement. Any suggestions? I can post a pic if it will help. I just don't want it to die in there. Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

Hi :welcome

Hatching is a very long and slow process that is very hard work for chicks. From the initial external pip that you have described it can and could take up to 24 hours before the chick actually hatches. Although it has made its external pip that does not indicate it is ready to hatch. It makes the pip hole so that it has enough oxygen to breathe. It will rest a lot and it needs to absorb the yolk and the veins and blood vessels before it hatches. From what you have described your egg sounds normal and just needs time before it hatches. Jumping in too early to help can cause more harm than good. Many chicks die because of early intervention. This article is an excellent read here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
Letting nature take it course is always the best option. Also at least 65% humidity is best for hatching.

Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. I just checked and still nothing more. I made sure temp n humidity are good and will check on it again in the morning. Thanks again:)

Not much more progress happened overnight. I have a feeling it's struggling. I'm going to wait a few more hours before I help though.

Waiting a few more hours won't hurt and it may hatch on its own during this time. I would just say though if you do feel you need to assist the assisted article link I left you in my first post is a good read and points out the things to look for. If you see blood or yolk stop straight away the chick won't be ready. Good luck.

Yes. If I see anything of the sort I will immediately stop. I'm going to candle the rest of the eggs today. It has been such a pain having the move them in and out of the turner when one begins to pip. Obviously this wasn't ideal, we were just trying to save the eggs since the broody got off of them. And yes, other hens were putting their eggs in with the brooding hen which is why they are all in different stages but none the less we want to save as many as possible:)

ok, she is completely out of the egg but she has a little blood on her butt and some wet yucky blood veins on her body. she is sort of weak but moving. I'm leaving her in the incubator for a while until she dries. The other little one that hatched last week is freaking out, I guess he knows his sister is born :) is it normal for the butt to be a bit bloody?

Sometimes they do hatch with a little blood but not usually they should have absorbed all the blood and veins before hatch. This blood is probably coming from the navel area where the umbilical was attached. It is best to leave it in the incubator to rest and dry off then you can asses how bad the blood is. It is possible this area could become infected (mushy chick disease) if its open so keeping the area clean and dry when it's out of the incubator will be required. Did you assist the chick or did it hatch on its own?

Back
Top Bottom