Not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aisha3789, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Aisha3789

Aisha3789 Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    I have a young hen that is laying about one egg every 1 1/2 days. She laid the first egg outside the nestbox... I put it inside. The next day when she wanted to lay the second egg she pushed the first one out of the box and I replaced it several times and she would push it right back out. So I left it out and she laid the second one in the nestbox...then when she got up I slipped the first one back in there. Now I am waiting all day for the 3rd egg but she didn' lay it yet and it' 8pm. She has not even looked in the nest box all day. Should I leave those eggs there? I don't have access to fake eggs to change them with. How long can I leave them? I also wrote the date on all these eggs so I know which order they came in. I was thinking to wait ten days from the date they were laid before discarding them. Are they still good to eat after 10 days or are they trash?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not leave real egg in the nest, collect them daily or they may end up a broken mess.
    You can use golf balls as fake eggs, or she may not even need them.
    New layers are goofy, give her time to figure things out.

ETA: Eggs can be fine for weeks if kept at a cool temp on the counter or longer in the fridge. Many opinions, threads, and techniques on that, do some searching.

Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  3. Ljc01

Ljc01 Songster

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    I would pull the eggs out of the nest before she steps on one a breaks it. You can find cheap leftover plastic Easter eggs this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: