Not sure what to label this, rooster help?

Also, since they’ve been tagged and I did just see their reply to my last thread when I went to get the link for it I’ll reply here.
I still haven’t been able to talk to the vet personally only the vet tech who was working with her. I was told they were thinking surgery because they had been suggested a cardiac infection by others. I wasn’t able to go in depth with the vet tech about it as she was on limited time. I have emailed them photos to show the people the vet has been talking to and am waiting to hear back. The vet tech and I discussed me going back to here and seeing what was offered for possible issues as they aren’t set on it being a comb issue alone..
Edit: the animal hospital I’m working with is the one known to deal with chickens s but they aren’t avian vets and don’t know a lot about them

Attachments

• F6F201F6-7363-4E6F-B722-01A2688D8E97.jpeg
    F6F201F6-7363-4E6F-B722-01A2688D8E97.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 6
I just recently read another thread which had similar issues with their cockerel. The pictures looked very similar to . They came to the conclusion his comb was too large and heavy and was pushing down on his nostrils.
That's what I was thinking, comb looks to be obstructing his nostrils

Is there a possibility that it is just his comb causing the issue and removing the front section of it, the portion that compresses the nostrils, would help him be able to breath normally?
I was going to suggest that, but lots of folks shy away from these sorts of procedures... comb dubbing is done commonly on certain breeds for show.

I was going to suggest that, but lots of folks shy away from these sorts of procedures... comb dubbing is done commonly on certain breeds for show.
It would help him breathe though I would think.. how come they shy away from it? Because it’s a basically a big blood vessel? .. if it gets done on breeds for showing they must make it through the procedure and live? Does it affect their lives at all do you know?

The discoloured mucous looking stuff around his right nostril is the red skin surrounding his nostril that you see pictured around the left nostril.
Closer to his eye on his right nostril that is discoloured skin that looks to be from moisture build up as it’s a fold of comb skin that lines up with his nostril end.

Attachments

• 59BB084A-4994-49C6-B844-88024984CB66.png
    59BB084A-4994-49C6-B844-88024984CB66.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • A8F3E26D-6109-41AE-ABE7-684A9E9C3E31.png
    A8F3E26D-6109-41AE-ABE7-684A9E9C3E31.png
    2 MB · Views: 7
It would help him breathe though I would think.. how come they shy away from it? Because it’s a basically a big blood vessel? .. if it gets done on breeds for showing they must make it through the procedure and live? Does it affect their lives at all do you know?
Some folks have gotten it into their head it's cruel to do. Me, I don't really care either way.

If this is a medical procedure, I would say go for it!! It would bleed alot but might really improve quality of life for this chicken. Or try to have your vet do it.... was the vet talking about heart surgery on this bird or...?? I would say to try the less expensive and much less invasive surgery first!

Could also be dirt or bacteria getting caught under that comb and holding yucky stuff in his nose, causing infection. I dunno. I have never seen this before, but personally I would bust out a scalpel and some blood stop and get to work.

Edited: to answer your earlier question, dubbing has little effect on quality of life for chickens, but if you live in an extremely hot area you may have to take extra precautions to keep him from overheating. Chickens somehow dissipate heat through their combs, but really it shouldn't a huge issue.

Some folks have gotten it into their head it's cruel to do. Me, I don't really care either way.

If this is a medical procedure, I would say go for it!! It would bleed alot but might really improve quality of life for this chicken. Or try to have your vet do it.... was the vet talking about heart surgery on this bird or...?? I would say to try the less expensive and much less invasive surgery first!
I can’t 100% be sure what the vet wants to do for the surgery but pretty sure it is to do with the possible cardiac infection they were suggested.
Could also be dirt or bacteria getting caught under that comb and holding yucky stuff in his nose, causing infection. I dunno. I have never seen this before, but personally I would bust out a scalpel and some blood stop and get to work.
There’s nothing that signals infection to me? I’ve dealt with infections on animals before of the respiratory kind and in wounds and this isn’t showing me any clear signs of infection? I’m seeing constantly moist tissue that is dying as it’s only on the one side ?
But this is in part why I want the vet to do it! They can cauterize it to stop bleeding plus they can do it in a lot cleaner and safer environment than I could provide.

Edited: to answer your earlier question, dubbing has little effect on quality of life for chickens, but if you live in an extremely hot area you may have to take extra precautions to keep him from overheating. Chickens somehow dissipate heat through their combs, but really it shouldn't a huge issue.
Good thing I live in a cold winter climate where frostbite could be an issue and with him living in a separate coop I can make sure it’s extra cool in the summer for him if it becomes an issue. But I would like to preserve as much of the comb as possible that isn’t affecting his breathing, if that’s possible.
Edit: for spelling

Back
Top Bottom