Not sure what's wrong...

If you should lose her, most state vets can do a necropsy to look for a cause of death. The body must be kept cold, but not frozen. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sometimes a brief home necropsy to look at and take pictures of the major organs and abdominal contents can also give some clues. Pictures may be posted here.

Here is a photo. No change. She looks worse when her eyes are closed … I am afraid we are just in the keep her comfortable stage of her leaving us.

Her comb looks like it’s gone quite dark which could be because she is dehydrated or having issues with her circulation.

I’m afraid you might be right, unless you have capacity to take her to a vet.

I’m sorry things have gone this way :(
Let us know how she goes :hugs

Here is a photo. No change. She looks worse when her eyes are closed. She refuses to open her mouth for water of food...even scrambled eggs. I had to lock the others out when that was around. She opened her eyes but I have no idea how to encourage a hen mouth to open when it does not want to. My experience is that they are ALWAYS open to an offering. I am afraid we are just in the keep her comfortable stage of her leaving us. I am very sad and feel rather helpless... 😢
Poor girl, she doesn’t look well at all. :(
I’m also thinking all you can do is keep her comfortable. :hugs

If you should lose her, most state vets can do a necropsy to look for a cause of death. The body must be kept cold, but not frozen. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sometimes a brief home necropsy to look at and take pictures of the major organs and abdominal contents can also give some clues. Pictures may be posted here.
I am afraid cutting into a pet, even one that has passed is way past my comfort level. But I am impressed and in awe of those who can do so. it is a skill and a useful one. This would be my first to die naturally (only my second flock after a horrid predator breach,) so I am a little unprepared. I expect that that is what we are looking at, given her refusal of food and water, but she was eating yesterday, so...? The fact that things got bad so fast and now they remain unchanged all day is a surprise. I would think that she would continue to go down hill, and I am foolishly hoping that the steady state is the possibility that she rallies. Unlikely, but I am holding out hope and checking on her regularly until we close them up for the night. This is the part of loving animals that is most difficult...of course. THANK YOU for your time and information.

Her comb looks like it’s gone quite dark which could be because she is dehydrated or having issues with her circulation.

I’m afraid you might be right, unless you have capacity to take her to a vet.

I’m sorry things have gone this way :(
Let us know how she goes :hugs
Thank you. Her comb did go dark, but it was also rather dirty, I thini she was sleeping with her head on the ground last night. She let me clean it and her beak and head feathers while resting on my lap this afternoon. She is not usually so accommodating, but she actually seemed to enjoy it. Still would not open her mouth for water though. So, not feeling too positive, just naively hopeful. :/

This would be my first to die naturally (only my second flock after a horrid predator breach,) so I am a little unprepared. I expect that that is what we are looking at, given her refusal of food and water, but she was eating yesterday, so...? The fact that things got bad so fast and now they remain unchanged all day is a surprise.

This is very typical of illness in chickens and I think with reproductive disease in particular (assuming it’s repro for your hen).

They are such resilient creatures until they can’t manage anymore and then it’s a quick decline.

It sounds like she appreciates your care, attention and company. You could use a dropper to drop water at the side of her beak or gently dip her beak into a dish of water to see if she will take a sip.

This is very typical of illness in chickens and I think with reproductive disease in particular (assuming it’s repro for your hen).

They are such resilient creatures until they can’t manage anymore and then it’s a quick decline.

It sounds like she appreciates your care, attention and company. You could use a dropper to drop water at the side of her beak or gently dip her beak into a dish of water to see if she will take a sip.
I tried a dropper and syringe, but not the dipping. I will try that. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom