Not sure what's wrong...

VSP

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
Hi all,
Three days ago my oldest hen (3 1/2 years) began to act a little "off". She was eating just fine and staying with the flock, but moving more slowly than usual. Yesterday I noticed her sitting away from the others and not eager to come when I was feeding afternoon greens. I lifted her brought her over and she ate, but was reluctant to walk. I checked her over very well and there were no injuries. Last night she stayed on the ground under the roost and this morning was still there. She is noit interested i the food I offered. She doies bnot seem to be in any pain or struggling to breathe, but wants to sleep. I held her for a long while and then made her a clean nest on the ground where she likes to sleep and she has nbot moved from there. The others have been in and out and are leaving her be. I have non idea what to do. Should I remove her if she is comfortable? Is there something else when there is no clear direction of what may be wrong? I am checking on her regularly and there is no change. I know if I cannot get her to eat or drink, this is an end situation. She is not "old". Ohm she stopped laying a year ago for the winter and never began again after a bobcat scare (she was unharmed, but witnessed the attack). I do not know if those are connected. I am grateful for any experienced advice. THANK YOU in advance.

I am adding an update here as I do not sign in often and I have become confused by the format… maybe it is just the emotion of a hard day. If I failed to thank you for your input directly, please know that is the only reason. I appreciate all of yiou. You helped me stay calm and focused and I know that Sandi was comfortable until the end. We lost her last night, I am sad, but also pleased that if this was the way it was going to end, it went quickly and without difficulty or drama for her. I remain amazed at the way the others reacted. They stood around her this morning. I do not know if they understood or were confused, but it looked like a little vigil. I am going to go with that for my own comfort today :) WIshing all of you a calm remainder to the weekend… ❤️

Last edited:
What breed is she?
Do you mind getting a picture of her?

Check her over for lice and mites and make sure she doesn't have any.
Early next morning, check her crop and make sure its completely empty.
Also, feel if her abdomen is bloated at all. (Abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs.)

She probably does need to eat, try giving her some meat, fish, or cooked up eggs and see if she's interested. If she won't eat any of that, try watering some chicken feed down enough so you can syringe feed her.
If you have any electrolytes or Nutri-Drench try giving her some of that.

Is her tail position down or up when she is standing? The actions you are seeing are common when a hen is experiencing a reproductive disorder. I would do as Tookie said, to check her crop to see if it is emptying by morning, as well as filling up during the day. Let us know if she has lost weight in her breast muscles or feel light, and if there is any enlargement of her belly down between the legs. Look her over for lice and mites under her vent and belly. Every day make sure that she is eating some. Hens may have a poor appetite or feel puny during molting as well.

What breed is she?
Do you mind getting a picture of her?

Check her over for lice and mites and make sure she doesn't have any.
Early next morning, check her crop and make sure its completely empty.
Also, feel if her abdomen is bloated at all. (Abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs.)

She probably does need to eat, try giving her some meat, fish, or cooked up eggs and see if she's interested. If she won't eat any of that, try watering some chicken feed down enough so you can syringe feed her.
If you have any electrolytes or Nutri-Drench try giving her some of that.
Thank you. I am on it. Breed is unclear. My daughter-in-law got the first flock we had from a hardware supply store near her during covid lockdown. "Red" Sex-link of some sort. I will try to get a picture the next time I go to check on her. JUST got back and am going to whip up some scrambled eggs and see if I can get her to eat some.

Unfortunately reproductive disease is one of those things that gets worse and worse over time, the hen doesn’t give you an indication that there’s an issue until they suddenly present like this and it’s a pretty dire situation. There are treatment options but it’s expensive and you need access to an avian/exotic vet.

Was she a prolific layer before she stopped? The ones who are bred to lay like crazy are the most susceptible past 2 years.

It’s normal for laying hens to have a squishy belly but it shouldn’t be excessively large or distended. You can feel your other hens for comparison. Upon palpation, warning signs are hardness or taut fluid filled feeling.

I am very appreciative of these responses. My other hens are all younger and of different breeds from her, so I have little to compare her to. It sounds like this may be a case of helping her stay comfortable. I am open to thoughts on that from those who know more, as well. I am going out to her now with some scrambled egg and to see if I can get some water with electrolytes into her. I do not have a lot of hope on the latter based on the last check in, but her eyes are open and she does not seem to be in distress. The other girls come in and hang around her but are not bothering her at all. Som, the next question I keep going round on is better to keep her where she is familiar and comfortable as long as she remains so, or do I risk stressing her out by moving her to the house and a cage she has never before been in? I am reluctant to do this until/unless it is necessary for her. I will take a photo of her when I am out there...

If she’s not in distress and she’s in a safe and comfortable place and the others are keeping her company and not bullying her, then I would suggest leaving her where she is… chickens tend to do better in their own environment, in the fresh air and among their flock mates.

I keep them in their familiar coop with their flock. If at any time they start picking on one, I place them inside the hospital dog crate with food and water, but still near the flock. Most hens even when ill, prefer to be around their flock buddies.

If she’s not in distress and she’s in a safe and comfortable place and the others are keeping her company and not bullying her, then I would suggest leaving her where she is… chickens tend to do better in their own environment, in the fresh air and among their flock mates.
Thank you. That is what I felt, but I was unsure and did not want to be cruel unintentionally. I am really impressed by the way the others are checkin in on her and then leaving her and then all coming in and hanging out, but not right on top of her and then going out again. It is pretty cool. She is the oldest and since she stopped laying so long ago, I used to joke that she thought she was their rooster. Maybe they did too 😉

Here is a photo. No change. She looks worse when her eyes are closed. She refuses to open her mouth for water of food...even scrambled eggs. I had to lock the others out when that was around. She opened her eyes but I have no idea how to encourage a hen mouth to open when it does not want to. My experience is that they are ALWAYS open to an offering. I am afraid we are just in the keep her comfortable stage of her leaving us. I am very sad and feel rather helpless... 😢

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    733.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom