not sure

Rach4

Chirping
Aug 31, 2016
Australia
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, this is our first time hatching, well egg sitting, our hen has been sitting now for well, we are not sure now, I noticed 19-20 days ago, she started to sit, all good their, but that was when she only had 2 eggs, bit slow on the intake here, she then laid another 3 in the space of about 4-5days. So my dilemma is, let her go for another few days for the extra eggs she laid, would they be fertile considering she laid them when she was sitting already?
Again I am a bit vague on all of this, we got so dame excited, and marked the extra eggs on the calendar but forgot all about them till last night when I double checked days. Oh also she has pooped on one of her eggs, should I do something about it? Thanks to all in advance that can help out on this one

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, this is our first time hatching, well egg sitting, our hen has been sitting now for well, we are not sure now, I noticed 19-20 days ago, she started to sit, all good their, but that was when she only had 2 eggs, bit slow on the intake here, she then laid another 3 in the space of about 4-5days. So my dilemma is, let her go for another few days for the extra eggs she laid, would they be fertile considering she laid them when she was sitting already?
Again I am a bit vague on all of this, we got so dame excited, and marked the extra eggs on the calendar but forgot all about them till last night when I double checked days. Oh also she has pooped on one of her eggs, should I do something about it? Thanks to all in advance that can help out on this one
Has the first ones hatched yet? After a day or two after the first ones hatch she may abandon any that are left. If she doesn't get up to take care of the first babies by a couple days after hatch I would take the others that aren't hatched and candle and if they are developing/still viable I would incubate them if you have an incubator so that she tends to the new chicks. Once they are hatched and up and moving you can try to place them back with her to raise. You can scrape off any poo on the egg. Being broody doesn't affect the fertility of eggs. Once they are truely broody and setting to hatch they stop laying.

Thanks for that, the first one hasn't hatched yet 21days will be Monday, so we figured if it hasn't happened by then it won't happen to the first one. She was pretty much broody from around 19 days ago (according to the markings on my calendar). The only time she has gotten up is generally to go to the toilet and to eat/drink, which is for no more then 5mins max at a time.
Their was a leak in the roof yesterday, which I went out to mend as we had potential flooding and each time I put my hand near her (as unfortunately the leak was probably 15cm within her poor little head) she made it clear not to come any closer and pecked me once (good on her for protecting her eggs!).
Also when she does get off her eggs the poor bugger gets bailed up by the rooster, looks like he isn't happy that she is off them, we try to keep him away so she can get her drink and food. Thanks for your help again

Back
Top Bottom