Not using coop at night

Kims-Little-Zoo

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
California
A few weeks ago my 3 Rhode Island Reds 9 months old started sleeping outside in there run and won’t use the coop. They have a completely enclosed run predator proofed. Checked for mites and nothing.
Fast forward to now and my younger mixed flock ( 2 Sapphire Gems, Speckled Sussex and Bantam Silkie ) 5 months old, who are in a completely different coop and run have decided to sleep outside. Checked for mites and nothing.
I’m mainly concerned with the silkie being out as she is so tiny still and the temperatures are dipping down in the low to mid 30’s F . Should i put them all in the coop at night or just let them be? Why all of a sudden are they doing this?

TiA for advice

Have you checked at night time for mites? If you could, maybe go out at night time with a torch and some white paper towel and wipe it along the roosts. Do you have enough ventilation? I had this problem with mine but they were new, I placed them in their coup at dusk and eventually they went In on their own accord after about 5 days.

i’ve checked at night for mites and nothing. But just as a precaution i went ahead and cleaned out both coops and dusted with DE both the coops and birds. My reds are in a 6x8 ft coop with vents on the top and a large window so plenty of ventilation in that one. The younger ones are in a smaller coop it’s about 3x 6ft coop which i leave the window open for them. Both flocks were using the coops every night and now that the temps are getting lower they refuse to use them. I’m at a loss as to why. No attacks or anything else significant that has happened. Do i even need to worry about the cold at night?

A few weeks ago my 3 Rhode Island Reds 9 months old started sleeping outside in there run and won’t use the coop. They have a completely enclosed run predator proofed. Checked for mites and nothing.
Fast forward to now and my younger mixed flock ( 2 Sapphire Gems, Speckled Sussex and Bantam Silkie ) 5 months old, who are in a completely different coop and run have decided to sleep outside. Checked for mites and nothing.
I’m mainly concerned with the silkie being out as she is so tiny still and the temperatures are dipping down in the low to mid 30’s F . Should i put them all in the coop at night or just let them be? Why all of a sudden are they doing this?

TiA for advice
I put roosts outside specifically for those who choose to sleep outside instead of inside the coop.

I had this crazy Silkie rooster, I named Sniffles, he always slept in the run. He even slept out there in -12°F winters.

I wouldn't worry unless any are acting sick, or bullied.

Attachments

• 366C718C-C241-4D41-877F-EF4E8208A468.jpeg
    366C718C-C241-4D41-877F-EF4E8208A468.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4E6E9779-FF7A-4D3A-90A2-A0EE702325DF.jpeg
    4E6E9779-FF7A-4D3A-90A2-A0EE702325DF.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 7
there are 2 doors one on each side and 2 windows so i think they have plenty ventilation. the coop is 6x8.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom