not zoning issue- INSURANCE issue!

Since Katrina, it's been nigh unto impossible for people in New Orleans to get new homeowners insurance policies. When I bought my house, there was only the "carrier of last resort" available to me, because my house is old - just like every other house in new orleans - had been less-than-ideally maintained, and took four feet of water in the unfinished ground floor garages.

When I was discussing the policy with my agent's assistant, she said "you don't have a dog, do you?" Which set of all kinds of warning bells. "No, but I want to get one." "Well, you can't get a pit-bull, they're aggressive." "Who are you to tell me what kind of dog I can have?" "Oh, it's not me, the insurance company won't allow it" "Well, OK, so I won't get a pit bull." "Or chow-chows" "Is there a list, so I don't inadvertently screw up?" "Or dobermans" "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT????"

I am SO ANGRY that the only insurance company that will insure most of New Orleans has blacklisted Dobes, Rotties, Pitt-Bulls, and Chows - or mixes thereof. What are these dogs going to do? There are a MILLION pitt bulls in the area. I cannot adopt a doberman now from the Gulf South Doberman Rescue. I have to be very careful what kinds of dogs I look at in the shelter - because we all know how one dog, regardless of breed, may very well make sad-eyes and be "the one".

I don't have the connections, but I really want to sic the breed associations of the maligned dogs on the insurance companies.

and then... AND THEN... of course, these insurance companies will then waffle and hedge about paying out when it's necessary. Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with this yet, but I've heard horror stories, and have worked on the designer/builder end, who is supposed to be paid by the insurance company.

Gah. I didn't mean to hijack this... I just get SO... ANGRY... when I hear about insurance companies regulating our lives, taking our money, and screwing us in the end. Why bother? All the money I'm going to pay them would do much better in an interest-bearing account, and I wouldn't have to fight to get it back out if I needed it. But the mortgage requires..... grumble grumble

Farm Bureau could be the answer. It may be a mutual there tho, and I always avoid mutuals. Policy holders can be assessed a portion of all outstanding claims if the co folds up. For that reason, I always have bought stock co insurance. Mine is Safeco, and no, we never had chickens when we first signed up with them 40 years ago.

I just bought a house and the insurance company asked us about dogs, but not other animals. And they never came out to inspect anything. (The first one we called woudln't insure us b/c we have Catahoula dogs...the other didn't even know what they are.
roll.png
)

I would drop your agent and find a new one. Then if you are happy with your insurance don't change it. If you have a claim when you are new they could just pay out and drop you because you are a risk. Where if yuo have been with the company a long time then you wouldn't be such a risk. "oh this person has been with us for 15 yrs and this is their first claim"

We have Nationwide/Allied for our car, trailer, house & farm.

Edited to add. We have used them for various things for over 15yrs and never had trouble with payouts.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's fortunate that Florida & Louisiana now have these "carrier of last resort" policies thru the state governments. Even with the highest premiums in the nation, the insurance companies have walked away from those states.

I suppose that the state could say you have passed the "last resort" by violating policy restrictions but it isn't as tho' most of us have any choice about having homeowners insurance. The bank that holds my mortgage requires it - it is even paid with the mortgage payments. I no longer remember how that was set up.

After 15 years, the "recovery act" or whatever they called it, did allow me to drop the "mortgage insurance" last fall. I never understood that - paying insurance in case I couldn't pay the mortgage so that the bank was protected against my default on the mortgage . . . Yep, 15 years of me paying to protect them from me. In case I had some problem - wouldn't want them to suffer any loss.

. . . caught between a bank and the insurance companies . . . there's something truly 21st century about that.

Steve

Unless you file income tax as a farm and pay tax as a farm and claim tax exemptions as a farm you own no farm animals. You have pets. If your city, county, town or provence allows you to keep your pet on your property and you do so, the insurance company cannot arbitrarily reclassify it as a farm animal. In fact if you try to claim any tax advantage as food or necessity from those animals Mr. Internal revenue will tell you those are pets. You can call the IRS and get this information in writing. It's called the schedule F requirements. Then call your state insurance commissioner and explain that your insurance was cancelled because your pets were classified as farm animals and you want to file a grievance and intend to procure and attorney and seek a class action lawsuit in your state for yourself and others that have been unfairly terminated. And then DO IT. I guarantee there is a good, honest lawyer out there who loves, farming, animals, health care and not sick care and wants people to have the right to have a bird in their home without losing their homes' secuity to some back stabbing loopholing, gotcha insurance company. State Farm? What State? Whose Farm? Not Mine!

The insurance companies most assuredly sent out representatives to review properties, sometimes even properties they have insured for years. I was contacted by my insurance and was told my homeowners would be cancelled if the diving board on the pool was not removed within 14 days. We had to overnight them pictures of the pool w/out the board. My inground pool was behind a privacy fence, so... did the rep climb the fence to see it?????

My friend here in Florida just received a letter from her insurance carrier that her roof needed to be replaced within 30 days or she too would lose her insurance, 9000 dollars later, they will continue her coverage but increased her premiums 700 a yr. Insurance was started by organized crime to protect against loss..... have we really come that far? Insurance companies are still organized criminals!!!!!

This is what my insurance has done.....
This is what could happen to you if you defend yourself, your family, your animals, livestock, and or property.

Mr.Gapp has chosen to file a civil laws suit against me.
Working with an attorney

Geordie Duckler of
The Animal Law Practice
5331 SW Macadam Ave. Suite 299
Portland Oregon 97239

I was served a summons to court for:
Conversion;
Intentional Infliction of emotional distress;
Loss of Companionship;

They claim that neither I or any family member or any animal was at risk of being harmed or killed when the two dogs attacked on our property on June 19th of this year. We should have felt no fear because of his two dogs and what they were doing.

I need your outrage at this travesty of injustice we are all being attacked for the simplest form of the human right to protect Self, Family, and Our property the animals or livestock we are responsible for.

Mr. Gapp in my option believes that it is his right to use my land and the private land bordering his 10’000 square foot lot for his own use. As do his neighbors, their dogs should have the freedom to run and do what dogs do. Please help me to fight this gross frailer of our system.

Warning check your insurance because the allegations against me in the summons our alleged to be intentional.

Farmers Insurance has now dropped my case. Saying they don’t cover intentional acts. Because the Gapps with their attorney have said this was an intentional act Farmers can now drop it.

Summonses don’t have to state facts they can allege anything. The truth does not matter…
Farmers after making a low ball offer to pay them off has now drop the case in my hands.

The police, the city, not a person I have spoken with believe my actions were anything more than defensive.

I now have less than 25 days to find an attorny to answer this summons or they win...

Because of the offer Farmers made if I loss and the judge or jury desides for even more than one penny over the $1000.00
Farmers offerred I have to pay all attnery fees for the Gapps.

I'm now waiting to have them drop us because the chickens are a liablity?????

Back
Top Bottom