Nova died..my poor buttonquail hen

I wouldn't think so and I'd be a little afraid to try it due to the size difference but there's a chance I guess? Would NOT put him with a male coturnix, he will just get bred to death, but maybe if you can find a really laid back hen. Some of mine can be real pieces of work!
that's what I was thinking... There are NO buttonquail for sale. Maybe if I got a DNA sexed female chick?

So.. Galaxy is totally freaking out.. he is running along the cage calling for her frantically:hiti really don't want him to die too, I gave some buttonquail to my craft teacher, and she recently lost her female to unknown causes... Leaving the make alone... I don't even know if her male made it, but if he did, should I ask her if I can try and take him for Galaxy and see if they bond? I would separate the cage in half for a week, then see if they would get along.. would it just make matters worse? @Fishkeeper @JaeG @007Sean ?
Sorry about your loss. :hugs Two males together might or might not work out. You won't know until you try...but if it doesn't than you have to have another place to keep that one. Also, there's no guarantee he'd accept another female.
I have kept single buttons by themselves, no problems they do call for another quail but they won't die from being by themselves.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope for the best for you and your birds.

Help! I just put on some feedback ale buttonquail calls on YouTube, but it only seems to make it worse!

You might just need to give him some time :( I know you want him to not be upset at all but he probably is still going to be grieving, too. I'm not sure there's any way to really mitigate it. I could see hearing others and not being able to see them making it worse.

If the ear-splitting shrieks of loneliness are becoming a problem, well. I understand. And unfortunately have no solution. Too many boys around here too D:

Sorry about your loss. :hugs Two males together might or might not work out. You won't know until you try...but if it doesn't than you have to have another place to keep that one. Also, there's no guarantee he'd accept another female.
I have kept single buttons by themselves, no problems they do call for another quail but they won't die from being by themselves.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope for the best for you and your birds.

You might just need to give him some time :( I know you want him to not be upset at all but he probably is still going to be grieving, too. I'm not sure there's any way to really mitigate it. I could see hearing others and not being able to see them making it worse.

If the ear-splitting shrieks of loneliness are becoming a problem, well. I understand. And unfortunately have no solution. Too many boys around here too D:
I don't really mind the calls, I just feel so bad for him.. thank you.. I know that buttonquail can live alone, but only if they have been raised that way, right?

I don't really mind the calls, I just feel so bad for him.. thank you.. I know that buttonquail can live alone, but only if they have been raised that way, right?
No, I've lost both males and females at one time or the other and the remaining bird did just fine...I didn't want to chance introducing into a new 'click' of my other quail and getting killed, so they remained single. I also have had and still do have a community pen (11 birds) they get along fine. In fact, the single birds and the community birds call back and forth, the calling isn't constant and doesn't annoy me.

Back
Top Bottom