November 15th Quilt Swap

17" not thanks! sorry you aren't feeling well too, at least the blocks ARE lovely so that is a happy thing :)

We are having a little warming trend here, & as I just worked out an extream case of chicken math for the winter I spent a couple hrs outside in the foggy drizzle cleaning -- washed the windows on the main coop/pen, it is set up w/ a wall of glass doors facing south w/ the roost ladder style where they will get what winter sun/heat there is, helps keep their water above freezing some days in the winter too, then I did some shoveling for the Bourbon Girls (Turkey) so when I convinced them to come back out of a pine tree & check out their coop they were very happy, then I looked at my supposedly empty for winter coops & pens and what fixes they will need to house the additional birds over winter...very good thing we have this warming trend for a few more days, b/c I have several more hrs of work to get ready for the new birds...and the tractor is not working this week, so hiking 800 ft UP (yes that much change in elevation from house to barn) is better now than in ice/snow like last wk.

Crossing fingers that new battery is all the tractor needs.

Trying to decide if I want to do sashing around these blocks or not. I've got fabric to make a bunch more to go w/ them as I want a Queen sized quilt. I'm leaning towards connecting the blocks directly and just making that many more additional ones, since they work up so fast.

Hope everyone else gets their blocks asap!

Oh & my hates chickens, couldn't care less about quilts DH was mighty impressed to finally hear me that we have an International group of quilt swapers ;>

Have you seen the concept of 2 block quilts? You make two diff. block sets and alternate them to form really cool secondary patterning.

Have you seen the concept of 2 block quilts? You make two diff. block sets and alternate them to form really cool secondary patterning.
Yes indeed! Not sure what other blocks would make a nice secondary pattern w/ the Antique Tile we have done, but I bet google knows,
& I have a fresh hot cup of pepermint choc. tea with me to find out....Thanks Kassaundra!

Here is another one that uses sashing w/ a twist for a cool effect

I like this but I was thinking if I did sashing I'd put a sq patch of color at the inbetween space , the cross roads & then a secondary criss cross or x might emerge as it would make a diagonal line w/ the small squares of sage in the corners...maybe...haven't found an example of that anywhere yet. So many options, we could all use these same blocks and no 2 quilts would come out the same enough to tell.

I like this but I was thinking if I did sashing I'd put a sq patch of color at the inbetween space , the cross roads & then a secondary criss cross or x might emerge as it would make a diagonal line w/ the small squares of sage in the corners...maybe...haven't found an example of that anywhere yet. So many options, we could all use these same blocks and no 2 quilts would come out the same enough to tell.
Either way it would give it a cool secondary pattern w/ little extra effort.

I found one w/ the corner block sashing

It is nice, but I think the other w/ the block mid sash stands out as a second pattern better.

I know this isn't the same block, but it would sooooo work in this layout!

Okay I'll stop for a while anyway! lol This one is my favorite of the ones I found. Not really much of a 2 block design, but I LOVE the 3D look of it, and gives a modern twist on a very traditional block.

I found one w/ the corner block sashing

It is nice, but I think the other w/ the block mid sash stands out as a second pattern better.
Hummm. I'm thinking that if I do the main saching cream and the squares between in a dark shade of sage then it would work much better.
In the example you found I think their sashing sqs are too similar to the strips, also they don't stand out against scrappy blocks, if they had used maybe the red I see in several blocks then I think it would have worked better for them, or navbey or hunter green or even a dark brown might have pulled it together. I think they just missed on light/dark values, plus I really don't feel the Antique Tile Block set on point, that completely does not work for me...all that said, hey that is a pretty nice scrappy quilt & I wouldn't toss it out of bed on a cold night ;>

So Kassaundra, you'll have to do the other one you found. Then we'll have 2 examples of diff. ways to use these blocks...

Back
Top Bottom