November 15th Quilt Swap

I can't find the addy if someone could PM me that I can try to get out today. While you finish these you can have a cup of tea on me.

I have chronic migraines. Like life stopping horrible, non functional pain in the head. The switch to the new style lightbulbs has made going in public really painful. If someone you know complains of it, please be sympathetic. It is hard to believe that something as simple as light, or food, or whatever can trigger this in some people. People with lupus and other health issues are also having problems from the lights. If small children act out, it could be stress from the light. You can see the muscle twitch on my cheek when it is bad. And our government thinks saving a couple of cents on electricity is worth making safe bulbs illegal! Sorry to throw in the public service announcement but I feel it is important to advocate for those worse off than me. I am so thankful my skin is not flaring up in horrible rashes just so I can get a few groceries like a lupus sufferer.

rockingbearanch, I'm in the same boat as you. The lights just kill me, I used read a lot now I have to use a Nook to read a book! I have several autoimmune problems. I wear my sun glasses inside most stores anymore. I can sew because my vintage machines take only the old bulbs.
Take care on your trip to town.

Sorry to hear that ladies, wow what a busy day I've had now to relax. Oh say a prayer for me and my turkeys tomorrow, the girls are going to freezer camp and this will be a first for me. The only thing I worry about is it not being quick enough. I just want it to be quick and a surprise and I will make sure it is humane.

I thought I was finally ready to sew my horizontal rows. Then I realized I messed up all my top and bottom rows! One corner is messed up on each because my long pink piece is horizontal instead of vertical. I made them all the same! Now I have to go back and redo the corners completely so they'll be the right direction. I want to cry :hit

They should have been ready to mail out today.

I thought I was finally ready to sew my horizontal rows. Then I realized I messed up all my top and bottom rows! One corner is messed up on each because my long pink piece is horizontal instead of vertical. I made them all the same! Now I have to go back and redo the corners completely so they'll be the right direction. I want to cry
hit.gif

Um, some of mine look like that too. I didn't re-do.

Sorry to hear that ladies, wow what a busy day I've had now to relax. Oh say a prayer for me and my turkeys tomorrow, the girls are going to freezer camp and this will be a first for me. The only thing I worry about is it not being quick enough. I just want it to be quick and a surprise and I will make sure it is humane.
I hope it went well. I have a rooster I just took back today from my neighbor (should have been a pullet but those day old EE mutts are soooo hard to tell) the darn thing attacked her 3 yr old neice, as in knocked her to the ground & cut her cheek :( , said aggressive bird is going to freezer camp & my DH is going to give me step by step on the processing (as he says it is not exactly like the rabbits he taught me to do) so I can take care of this sort of thing in the future myself as need be. Not fun, but necessary skill...

I thought I was finally ready to sew my horizontal rows. Then I realized I messed up all my top and bottom rows! One corner is messed up on each because my long pink piece is horizontal instead of vertical. I made them all the same! Now I have to go back and redo the corners completely so they'll be the right direction. I want to cry
hit.gif

Oh no.

That is the whole thing in the directions about half of them must be made mirror image , the diagonal corners are the same, total block takes 2 one way 2 the mirror image way.

If you are doing it via the strip piece way then having the long pink on the bottom good side up, the patch w/ pink&sage good side down then you can make the sets either of two ways

WAY A) Point the green the same (like all pointed towards the top end of the long pink strip) then sew half of the total # of strips on the left side, half on the right side , this works for ambidextrous folks who aren't bothered by sewing on either side of a piece of fabric as it enters the machine. It is how I did it, but perhaps is more confusing that the other option--

OR

WAY B) Sew all the strips on the same side of the fabric, but on half of the strips lay the green to the top, half the white to the top as it sits on the long pink strip and moves into the sewing machine.

either way A or B causes half the strips to be sewn a mirror image of the others then you use 2 of each type to form the blocks.

I guess I was not clear enough on this in the directions...Sorry!!!!

Overall I'd say this quilt has been a great learning experience for all of us and if we get blocks that aren't exactly perfect ie like those pictured, then we each have the option to go the humble "intentional mistake block in the quilt" route, or the seam rip & re-sew to perfection route as we each feel drawn to do <shrug> otherwise I'm not sure what else to say.

I think it is the Amish that intentionally make a mistake in their quilts to keep them humble, looks humble to me, I had to really look to see what you were talking about, but no hurry, I know we are all busy with the pending holiday.

I was just trying to go too quickly and wasn't thinking. It's ok. I had my meltdown and I'm just taking them apart and redoing. These are the first quilt blocks I've ever done so I figured I'd have a few stumbles along the way. Doesn't help that I spent most of last night in the ER at Vandy with DH. He's fine and I'm moving forward. I have learned a ton! And I can't wait to get these sent in and see all the pretty ones everyone else has made.:pop

Back
Top Bottom