November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Thanks for the info!  The humidity was not as easy to deal with as the temperature. This morning it is down to 47 (from 51). I am not sure how low I should let it drop?. Will it harm the eggs if it continues to go down at the beginning? I can easily get it back up at the end, but I don't know about letting it get lower right now and how much?

My husband was amazed that I didn't check the incubator first thing this morning. I waited almost 1/2 hour. I did put a sponge in there for a while yesterday and some rice so maybe that is what helped lower it. I took the sponge out, but left the rice.  It is so humid here in Mississippi.

Only 20-1/2 more days.........

Humidity is an interesting variable that everyone does a little different mine usually goes down to 30% before I add water if I have darker shelled eggs like BCM or AMs I like it on the lower end otherwise I do around 40% until hatch then 70% I live in the northeast and have higher humidity up here normally and it's been raining every week... But everyone has positive experiences doing it differently it's somewhat dependent on what works for you where you live idk that there is a magical number if temp is steady and your air cells are getting bigger slowly or u do weighing (which some ppl do) to determine if they are loseing the accurate amount of moisture those are other ways to determine. My first hatch this year stressed me out! And had 19/20 with shipped eggs. So for me I'm sticking w/ the way I did it... Another hatch due this way who knows how that will turn out lol... Less stressed tho! I'm hoping everything goes well for you!!!

On October 31 we lost 1 Silkie hen and 1 Speckled Sussex rooster to a predator. We were very upset - this is our first loss to a predator and we've had chickens for over a year. As part of our grieving process (at least that's what I'm claiming), I decided to set 9 eggs. Luckily we have another roo to protect the rest of the flock. We are expecting our babies around November 21. They will be Speckled Sussex and Silkie x SS.

This is our first shot at hatching with an automatic turner. Our previous hatches were done in a homemade incubator and a Hovabator - both with manual egg turning.

Thanks for the info! The humidity was not as easy to deal with as the temperature. This morning it is down to 47 (from 51). I am not sure how low I should let it drop?. Will it harm the eggs if it continues to go down at the beginning? I can easily get it back up at the end, but I don't know about letting it get lower right now and how much?

My husband was amazed that I didn't check the incubator first thing this morning. I waited almost 1/2 hour. I did put a sponge in there for a while yesterday and some rice so maybe that is what helped lower it. I took the sponge out, but left the rice. It is so humid here in Mississippi.

Only 20-1/2 more days.........

I would lower the humidity. I find with it that high, that there is usually a lot of ... what I call...goop..and sometimes, when it's time to pip, they will pip into this, and folks call it drowning. Sometimes, there is a lot more fluid than goop..they just can't breath through all of that stuff. I don't even worry if mine drops down into the 20's..especially during the first few days..because, mine are shipped, I am wanting those air cells to develop more slowly. Shipped eggs usually have those dog on saddle shape air cells. They need to lose a lot of moisture in the beginning. If you have your own back yard eggs..yaay, I say lucky! I do get some once in a great while, then I keep the humidity around the mid 30's for the incubation time, even in the beginning.
Like said above by dcba above..everyone has a different situation.

Man, I candled those eggs that came broken and gooy, and found two more that were cracked. :/ I won't have many left if this keeps up. Not sure the others will be good that I rinsed off. Will see if any bloom stayed on. :( I have them in a separate incubator.

So you count your eggs when the clears are removed. I have 13 developing grocery store eggs.
eggs. all in the incubator.

Trader Joes???? Man, I wish we had a store like that close to us. And look, yours are brown! In case ya didn't notice.
big_smile.png
Most of the ones' I've seen are white. Will be watching to see how you do here! Good luck. What will they be, do you know?

[/IMG]
Sorry, posted before I wrote my message.

I received hatching eggs today in the mail and I received gross eggs. I've read some use Oxine AR, but don't have any. What can I use that I can buy from local TSC or Fleet Farm etc.

Last edited:
[/URL]
Sorry, posted before I wrote my message.

I received hatching eggs today in the mail and I received gross eggs. I've read some use Oxine AR, but don't have any. What can I use that I can buy from local TSC or Fleet Farm etc.

Did you see mine a few pages back? I got a lot with the poo on them too. I would not wash them. I actually get great hatches with the dirty ones as well as the ones that are clean. It's just not a nice site. Doesn't look like there is any real ... thick stuff. Be happy for that. Just set them. :)

Last edited:
Sooo excited..I have waited and waited on this EE to lay..well, turns out, she is an OE!! Whoot, one of most favorite colors in the OE's...I almost sold her! Glad I didn't. Now, if the EE cockerel I have would just start being a man, wow, she would be laying girls that could also lay OE eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom