November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Well once again, my hatch has gone bad. My eggs stopped pipping yesterday afternoon and I have 12 eggs in the bator that have done nothing. Technically, day 21 hit around midnight last night and I was hoping for a few more pips this morning but no such luck. I'll leave them for a couple of more days just to make sure. Luckily though, I currently have at least one of almost every color chick I set except two. So far, no silver laced or buff Cochins. :( I do have 1 gold laced Cochin, 1 splash cochin, 2 buff silkies, 2 white silkies, 3 black silkies, and 1 blue silkie for a total of 10 chicks. All are cute as they can be and doing well...even the little silkie who pipped on the wrong end. :)

Well once again, my hatch has gone bad. My eggs stopped pipping yesterday afternoon and I have 12 eggs in the bator that have done nothing. Technically, day 21 hit around midnight last night and I was hoping for a few more pips this morning but no such luck. I'll leave them for a couple of more days just to make sure. Luckily though, I currently have at least one of almost every color chick I set except two. So far, no silver laced or buff Cochins. :( I do have 1 gold laced Cochin, 1 splash cochin, 2 buff silkies, 2 white silkies, 3 black silkies, and 1 blue silkie for a total of 10 chicks. All are cute as they can be and doing well...even the little silkie who pipped on the wrong end. :)

Do leave them in. My hatch date was Tuesdday, and I had one that didn't pip until late last night. You never know, there could be life in there! I've had chicks take 25 days to hatch before.

My head chicken Sara squatted for me today. She is 6 months. I hope she lays an egg. I put a nest in the coop. Maybe all of the older girls will start laying soon.
fl.gif

I gave 8 shipped Silver Penciled Wyandotte eggs, 2 homegrown Delaware eggs and two Barnyard mix eggs to my broody last Thursday. Candled last night and 10 of the 12 seem to have something going on. Two SPW might be clear but I left them for now.

I hatched with a bator last spring and was not very successful at all...set 36, 18 went in to lock down and 7 hatched. I was a mess the whole time second guessing over candling and generally making myself crazy. Then this summer I got my first broody so I gave her some EE eggs and she went 4 for 4. That plus I didn't obsess throughout the process.

So now here I am on week two with the same broody girl. Happy and grateful that she will do all the stressing for me.

6 live chicks so far, plus 2 more pips on my eggs from texas. The chick I helped yesterday died last night and another pipped and died, they were from my eggs from Virginia. Still have a lot to wait for.

My head chicken Sara squatted for me today. She is 6 months. I hope she lays an egg. I put a nest in the coop. Maybe all of the older girls will start laying soon.
fl.gif
You named your chicken Sara?
tongue.gif
That's my name. Even spelt correctly. That better be one beautiful chicken!
lau.gif

Sara is my sweet doggie's name, too. (Short for Saratoga.) That chicken can't help but be awesome! ;)

Sara is my sweet doggie's name, too. (Short for Saratoga.) That chicken can't help but be awesome!
wink.png
I Share my name after a dog too?
hide.gif
What the heck was my mom thinking when she named me? On another note, I think I accidentally fried my poor chicken eggs. I am new to using the Little giant and I didn't know how to correctly higher/lower temperature. I am heartbroken and a little let down. :(

Back
Top Bottom