November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

These chicks are gonna drive me crazy.... Not a pip but lots of rocking. I'm contemplating putting on some Beethoven to stimulate their brains. I'm punch-drunk tired and super giggly. I know it's the paint fumes from the outside brooder my hubby helped me build today. Well that and getting up before the roosters started crowing to see if we have any hatches. lol

My 3 week olds (today and tomorrow are their birthdays) and they are sleeping through the night. I'm ready for some fluffy chicks!

Last edited:
My daughter turned our silkie eggs up to 107 while I was at work becasue she saw the light turn off and thought the machine was off...It was like that for 5-6 hours. This happened on day 4.
As we speak, they are pipping...several have already hatched. The only eggs that didn't develop weren't fertile to begin with. Maybe it was a miracle..or maybe hatching eggs are more resilient then we believe :) Theres still hope!'

(This is supposed to be a reply for the lady whos bator was on 108...tried to hit the reply button, but didnt work. )

I am over tired too...cant stop watching the bator!

Last edited:
Ok...so I know to leave the chicks in the incubator until most are hatched...but what if they poop in it? Really, still keep it closed? I just had one poop greenish stuff in there.(First hatch )

My daughter turned our silkie eggs up to 107 while I was at work becasue she saw the light turn off and thought the machine was off...It was like that for 5-6 hours. This happened on day 4.
As we speak, they are pipping...several have already hatched. The only eggs that didn't develop weren't fertile to begin with. Maybe it was a miracle..or maybe hatching eggs are more resilient then we believe :) Theres still hope!'

(This is supposed to be a reply for the lady whos bator was on 108...tried to hit the reply button, but didnt work. )

Ah that gives me so much more hope. I can't really see in the eggs much because they are dark marans eggs but I think they may just be alright. Because they seem to be developing inside (i can't be 100%) we shall see. they should hatch on the 21st so I guess I'll find out now. What are you hatching?

Ok...so I know to leave the chicks in the incubator until most are hatched...but what if they poop in it? Really, still keep it closed? I just had one poop greenish stuff in there.(First hatch )

Most people say to never open the incubator, but I always do. I take out each chick as it hatches. I just make sure the humidity goes back up after. Did this even with ducks and I've never had a shrink wrap. I'd take them out. If they're pooping it means their yolk is running through their system and they'll need food and water soon. Just make sure to get the humidity back up after you do.

Sara is my sweet doggie's name, too. (Short for Saratoga.) That chicken can't help but be awesome!
wink.png
She is. Sara and Molly are my two favorite chickens. She almost died when I got her. I kept her in a scarf around my neck for 3 or 4 days until she was strong enough to go back with the others. She potty trained herself. She continued to be my buddy even after going with the others. She came in the house to sleep even when the others stayed in the coop. When my dog weent out the doggie door, Sara would dart in. She slept on my parrots perch. She'd jumped down in the morning and wake me up to let her out. I love my Sara. She is the smartest chicken I have.

what are you going to do with them when it gets cold??
that's why I was shutting down my bators....don't want them out in the freezing and don't want them in the house!
but as you know....I couldn't stop myself
th.gif
I've been hardening off my chicks. I put them out during the day and bring them in at night. I read a lot of different things about when they can be out all night. The temp at night is dropping faster than 5' a week. My chicks are a week or two behind the temp drop. It's getting cold early this year. I thought I had it planned out. But mother nature said 'No way, sucka!' Is there an age when the can go out no matter what temp? Otherwise my chicks can't go out until December when they 13 weeks old.

How long after your hens start squatting do they start laying? Will they let a rooster that is lower in the pecking order mate with them? I have 2 rooster, 4 months, that have just started crowing. I haven't seen them try to mate with any of the chickens. My hens are mostly EE, 6 months and my roosters are a Red Brown Ameraucana (maybe an EE, much prettier than an Ameraucana) and a Splash Marans. I will get pretty eggs either way.

use the quote button
frow.gif

Quote: I'm in N. Texas so it's mild here....I usually only keep them in for a few weeks....then I move them to the baby coop in their cage and cover it at night in the coop...but as it's turning colder at night they'll need the heat lamp so they either stay in the house with me or in my husbands shop with the light on....he'll balk....then I think since I like to check them I'll keep them in...I guess I'll do what feels right at the time

my little lone sex link that hatched Sunday " Sassafrass" is really something...we've been on play dates to the baby coop...she's not afraid of anything...the older babies that want to peck her got pecked first!! she sticks right up for herself....she gets out there and fits right in
big_smile.png

she has a sibling in the hatching bator pipped right now so she won't alone long!

Back
Top Bottom