November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Well the day is nearing and I am just coming into the realization I have to think about vaccination for Marek's disease. My other girls have the vaccine so I have to do it for these girls. Ugh not looking forward to doing this and have to Next Day ship the vaccine asap.

Actually, you don't have to vaccinate them for Marek's just because your other birds are. The vaccine they use for Marek's is made from a different virus that is similar enough that the bird can produce antibodies for Marek's, but the birds can't actually get Marek's from it. Some of my flock is vaccinated, some is not, and I've never had a Marek's problem. Unless of course you have Marek's in your flock or are really worried about them getting it - then by all means vaccinate! Otherwise, you don't have to worry about it :)

Quote: well some take up to day 25 to hatch....candle first
you know what's funny...no matter what your experience you still end up needing support at hatch time!! nerves frazzle lol
we put time and money into our eggs and want that little fuzzlet to hatch and be healthy...I don't sleep much around hatch time
old.gif
gig.gif

Actually, you don't have to vaccinate them for Marek's just because your other birds are. The vaccine they use for Marek's is made from a different virus that is similar enough that the bird can produce antibodies for Marek's, but the birds can't actually get Marek's from it. Some of my flock is vaccinated, some is not, and I've never had a Marek's problem. Unless of course you have Marek's in your flock or are really worried about them getting it - then by all means vaccinate! Otherwise, you don't have to worry about it
smile.png

This makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER!! Thank you! :)

Ok, I don't know what I was thinking. My last hatch has just finished. Someone jokingly told me chicken math deals with exponentials. July 3rd I got my first 4 chickens. By the end of the month I had 13. In August I got 30 roosters for the stew pot and all but 5 are gone; they had some filling out to do. September I hatched my 1st group of which I still have 20. My daughter was given some frizzles and silkies. I have 31 from this hatch. I now have 86 chickens here. What was I thinking?!

Ok, I don't know what I was thinking. My last hatch has just finished. Someone jokingly told me chicken math deals with exponentials. July 3rd I got my first 4 chickens. By the end of the month I had 13. In August I got 30 roosters for the stew pot and all but 5 are gone; they had some filling out to do. September I hatched my 1st group of which I still have 20. My daughter was given some frizzles and silkies. I have 31 from this hatch. I now have 86 chickens here. What was I thinking?!
yuckyuck.gif

ya and that wont stop you ha ha ha...chicken math
lau.gif

you know what's funny...no matter what your experience you still end up needing support at hatch time!! nerves frazzle lol
we put time and money into our eggs and want that little fuzzlet to hatch and be healthy...I don't sleep much around hatch time
old.gif
gig.gif
OMG it is sooo true!!! Lots of hoping and wishing and getting things right...and then when nothing happens we are like...what..did..I ...do wrong!!
hit.gif
LOL!
big_smile.png

Sooooo update on these chicks....I now have 6 Heritage RIR eggs out and I have found 3 more that have pipped(not counting my chicks though at this point) If those pips turn into chicks that hatch...it will be 9 chicks out of 14 eggs. Not that bad. Still want a better incubator though.
tongue2.gif

Luck to all who are hatching you have my utmost momma hen support!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom