November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Oh those chickadees are just Adorable. !
Frizxles look Fabulous, good score!

Does anyone know if I can candle quail eggs? You all seem to do this before lock down but this is my first attempt. ? Will it matter if I dont?

try so warm water on the food enough to make it not loose so it doesn't spill so bad
Great idea.........................
highfive.gif
highfive.gif

I just did my day 7 candle a few minutes ago. Of 15 blue copper/blue splash marans eggs it looks like there are 11 developing BUT 2 of them I had a really hard time seeing into so I couldn't actually see vessels and embryo in those two...one of the 11 the embryo was moving but looked to be a bit smaller than his/her comrades.

Of the BLR Wyandottes I got 11, two were broken upon arrival, three had detached air cells. It looks like I have 3 developing and a whole lot of nothing going on in all the others but I just don't trust my judgement enough to know for sure. I'll give them another few days (the seemingly empty marans too) and then I'll make the call. The happy news is that one of the eggs with the detached air cells repaired and that is one of the ones that is developing. Cool, huh? That was a feisty, on-target little embryo so I'm crossing my fingers that he/she keeps up the good growing!

Temp and humidity has been humming along...I still haven't gone with the sponge for humidity but right now the well is doing the trick.

Congrats to all on those beautiful chicks! I just candled (day 8 ) and removed 6 clear and 5 blood rings. I am down to 25 eggs now. That is still way more than I started with last hatch so I'm just keeping my FX for them all to get to lockdown. For those who have lost eggs recently I feel your pain. (((HUGS))) Going to have a funeral for my eggs now - I bury all of my bad eggs so as to not attract any unwanted critters -does everyone else do the same?

Last edited:
very pretty!! you need a silkie to breed him to!! or a beautiful cochin!
love.gif

Thank you!! If you can tell in that pic of course the big handsome boy in the front is a frizzle roo, then behind him is a frizzle hen then hiding in the back is a smooth feather cochin. All very pretty. Am I correct that I can breed him to the smooth feather?? Also, what color do you can these? They are mostly black but have brown/gold specks. My mother in law has a blue splash silkie hen and a blue plash smooth cochin rooster that I am hoping to hatch some babies from soon. She hasn't started laying yet but is old enough now so I'm thinking this Spring. Thinking it would be a pretty baby to cross a blue splash silkie with this handsome boy or the blue splash cochin with my frizzle girl!
Looks like my Luna.
thumbsup.gif
Then she must be a pretty girl!! We have named the frizzle hen Princess and the smooth hen Diva (named by my youngest daughter, obviously but the names fit!) Still working on a tough guy name for my little frizzle roo roo! My oldest named my Speckled Sussex hen Lucinda. NO idea where that came from?? LOL

the roosters do "their thing" the hens store "it"
roll.png
so it's the hens that...decide....lol....to actually fertilize
hmm.png
lau.gif

good luck with the rooster...don't forget to quarantine...and delouse
roll.png
Good to know! We actually put out our old Roo I was mentioning previously (Tyson...lol) to free range today and he is enjoying it so far. We did this because...drum roll...we FINALLY caught the wild RIR Rooster that was running around at my mother in laws house.
woot.gif
We have named him LUCKY because he is obviously VERY lucky as there were plans to shoot him at roost this evening. He is in quarantine right now, as are all of my other new chickens.The frizzles/cochins are eventually getting their own coop. We are putting the finishing touches this weekend. They just seem to have such a different temperament from my other 2 houses of chickens, I don't want to put them together. Plus we plan to breed the frizzles/cochins eventually, so that's probably best anyway. Still no news on my remaining eggs, but I have ordered a new thermometer/hygrometer and light for candling for my next hatch. I was hoping to start as soon as my incubator was empty, but unfortunately none of my chicken friends locally are getting ANY eggs from their hens right now, and neither I am. I really don't want to have eggs shipped, but I may. If I do I will most likely try for some silkies, cochins and maybe more Speckled Sussex this time.

Thank you!!   If you can tell in that pic of course the big handsome boy in the front is a frizzle roo, then behind him is a frizzle hen then hiding in the back is a smooth feather cochin.  All very pretty.  Am I correct that I can breed him to the smooth feather??  Also, what color do you can these?  They are mostly black but have brown/gold specks.  My mother in law has a blue splash silkie hen and a blue plash smooth cochin rooster that I am hoping to hatch some babies from soon.  She hasn't started laying yet but is old enough now so I'm thinking this Spring. Thinking it would be a pretty baby to cross a blue splash silkie with this handsome boy or the blue splash cochin with my frizzle girl!
Then she must be a pretty girl!! We have named the frizzle hen Princess and the smooth hen Diva (named by my youngest daughter, obviously but the names fit!)  Still working on a tough guy name for my little frizzle roo roo!  My oldest named my Speckled Sussex hen Lucinda. NO idea where that came from?? LOL

Good to know! We actually put out our old Roo I was mentioning previously (Tyson...lol)  to free range today and he is enjoying it so far.  We did this because...drum roll...we FINALLY caught the wild RIR Rooster that was running around at my mother in laws house.:woot   We have named him LUCKY because he is obviously VERY lucky as there were plans to shoot him at roost this evening.  He is in quarantine right now, as are all of my other new chickens.The frizzles/cochins are eventually getting their own coop.  We are putting the finishing touches this weekend.  They just seem to have such a different temperament from my other 2 houses of chickens, I don't want to put them together. Plus we plan to breed the frizzles/cochins eventually, so that's probably best anyway.  Still no news on my remaining eggs, but I have ordered a new thermometer/hygrometer and light for candling for my next hatch.  I was hoping to start as soon as my incubator was empty, but unfortunately none of my chicken friends locally are getting ANY eggs from their hens right now, and neither I am.  I really don't want to have eggs shipped, but I may.  If I do I will most likely try for some silkies, cochins and maybe more Speckled Sussex this time.

Yay I'm glad u guys cought him! Lucky he is!:bow

Quote: I have a little silkie roo his name...roo roo
big_smile.png

I don't know the names of the silkie colors.. I have some black silkies 2 lavender's and a charcoal kind of greyish color girl....a black frizzle that has a copper color mane!! oh and a sort of white splash color cochin....are we going to have the most fun mixing all our beautiful babies next year??? I think you can put your frizzle with your smooth...I doubt they have the same mother so if I've retain anything I've read.....if your 3 are related and one turned out smooth she may or may not have a frizzle gene but would only have 1 so if she goes with a frizzle roo that's not too may frizzle genes....I'm pretty sure 4... 2 from ea parent is where you may have a problem...brittle feathers and things like that...

mind you!!! I am not sure if everything I've said is accurate!!! but it's something along those lines lol
smack.gif

Anyone have a Hova Bator 1602N? There is a "gently used" one advertised locally for $30. Says it was only used once to incubate reptile eggs. Considering getting it since a new one costs between 50-60. Have luck with these or not a worth it?

Back
Top Bottom