November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I have a little silkie roo his name...roo roo
big_smile.png

I don't know the names of the silkie colors.. I have some black silkies 2 lavender's and a charcoal kind of greyish color girl....a black frizzle that has a copper color mane!! oh and a sort of white splash color cochin....are we going to have the most fun mixing all our beautiful babies next year??? I think you can put your frizzle with your smooth...I doubt they have the same mother so if I've retain anything I've read.....if your 3 are related and one turned out smooth she may or may not have a frizzle gene but would only have 1 so if she goes with a frizzle roo that's not too may frizzle genes....I'm pretty sure 4... 2 from ea parent is where you may have a problem...brittle feathers and things like that...

mind you!!! I am not sure if everything I've said is accurate!!! but it's something along those lines lol
smack.gif
I can't WAIT to see what kind of babies we can come up with this Spring!!! I'm toooo excited!!!! Cannot wait!!! Looks like I'm going to have to be patient though because my girls are not wanting to lay in the cold this year, but I guess I will have to deal! LOL
tongue2.gif

Anyone have a Hova Bator 1602N? There is a "gently used" one advertised locally for $30. Says it was only used once to incubate reptile eggs. Considering getting it since a new one costs between 50-60. Have luck with these or not a worth it?
I'm using a 1602N for this hatch. I like it so far.

My lone Runner Duck Egg , Its 2 days late but the only one that made it ( so far ) Hes chirping , so Im hopeful . On friday I I candled all of my eggs ( 1 day after hatch date ) couldnt see any was moving and chirping so I left it and the others there was no movement so I poped a little hole on the air sac side and found 3 others were still moving . The other 4 were dead . The next day the chirping egg was dead and 1 by 1 the were dying off except this lil One . If it makes it I will be estatic! Im hopeful it will hatch ! Its chirping , moving alot ! Im helping a little but I want it to do the work to help it get strong! Ive chipped away alot of the egg shell but left the membrane. Since we went with the Halloween Idea on names my wifes 1st choice is spook , but since It looks to be a Black Runner not the best choice any one wanna throw a cool name out !

well my blue splash wheaton eggs that came so badly damaged 2 are strong 1 of the black splash that she threw in as extras, is going strong....due date Nov 12

and my home growns eggs that some one ordered but never came to pick up...we set and 19 of those out of 24 ( 1 got broken) are going...of course

and this after I said I didn't want to hatch for winter and have chickens in the house
smack.gif

up to 9 Marans hatched one half zipped!
love.gif

My lone Runner Duck Egg , Its 2 days late but the only one that made it ( so far ) Hes chirping , so Im hopeful . On friday I I candled all of my eggs ( 1 day after hatch date ) couldnt see any was moving and chirping so I left it and the others there was no movement so I poped a little hole on the air sac side and found 3 others were still moving . The other 4 were dead . The next day the chirping egg was dead and 1 by 1 the were dying off except this lil One . If it makes it I will be estatic! Im hopeful it will hatch ! Its chirping , moving alot ! Im helping a little but I want it to do the work to help it get strong! Ive chipped away alot of the egg shell but left the membrane. Since we went with the Halloween Idea on names my wifes 1st choice is spook , but since It looks to be a Black Runner not the best choice any one wanna throw a cool name out !
ducks can be hard...hope it goes well
how about casper?

Do broody hens chip away at expired eggs? I've had 2 hens do this now. My latest one today. A chick was apparently struggling to hatch and never made it past making a large hole (about pencil eraser sz). When I went to chk on it I noticed a lot of the eggshell had been chipped off but not the membrane. The chick had obviously expired. I just wanted to know if this was normal.

:hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit

My last egg, last hatch for the year. My first baby from my Black/Lavender split Ameraucana. It died unable to pip due to malposition.Today was day 21 and I didn't see movement anymore this afternoon. I just opened it to see what was going on. Blood vessels all absorbed, yolk halfway absorbed, and it ran out of air. I checked it last night because I normally have pips by the end of day 20. Everything looked ok so I decided to be patient. I wish I hadn't :( Not the way I wanted to end my hatching for the year - especially with all the other bad things I have going on here. I know I have no shortage of chickens, but I still love every.single.one of them :hit

Oh pendragon thats very sad. :( :hugs it amazes me how a little box of eggs takes over your focus.
Im going to attempt candling my quail eggs this evening, no idea what theyll look like, theyre so dark shelled....and I ve never tried it before.

Back
Top Bottom