November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Quote: New Breeder....don't hatch in the same incubator that your using for incubating...anymore....there are different humidity requirements and that higher humidity is probably not ideal for the eggs that aren't ready to hatch!
roll.png

Max's diaper is suppose to come in the mail today. I can't wait. I am tired of following him around with a roll of toilet paper. He will not be so happy. He is already anoid at the little chicks running around with him, eating his food, getting attention. I have to make a lid for their brooder. I figured I am already clean poos and it has helped them get used to me. I've never had my chicks visit so much. They are so sweet. There's a couple stealing Max's food right now. But now it's time to shampoo the carpets, again. I can't wait. I can take off the protective blakets and towels covering my room. Woo hoo!
they make turkey diapers? lol

I can imagine how you feel....all the little ones...under 3 months have been in the house during this deep freeze. even though I'm mean and don't let them run around they're litter is all over the place and they are big enough to stink the place up!! good thing I love them!!

when it's a specific breed....especially ...that your really looking forward too...it seems to take a long time...

what breed of ducks...I have 4 calls from July hatch! love them!!!

Well that makes sense! I have always wanted Indian Runners and I found an ad on ebay for a mixture of hatching eggs that included runners! I started with 9 eggs (4 Khaki Campbells 3 Pekins and 2 Indian Runners) but I lost one of each. I believe they were damaged during shipping. I'm dieing to see the 1 Indian Runner I have left! We are already working on an awesome outdoor pond for them when they are old enough. What colors are your call ducks? I have heard they can be hard to hatch. Did you have a pretty good hatch rate?

I can imagine how you feel....all the little ones...under 3 months have been in the house during this deep freeze. even though I'm mean and don't let them run around they're litter is all over the place and they are big enough to stink the place up!! good thing I love them!!

Same thing at my house! Little ones running around stinking the place up because it's been so cold! Only my little Domi gets to be out of the cage a whole lot, but still...lol

Bad pic of the two from this morning. My mother is on her way to Portland driving the county van, so I can't steal her phone for better pics.

I'm not letting them, they are doing it on their own. Usually they stay put but these little guys are adventurers. And so stinky. I think part of the stink is running the heat instead of the AC. I let them get away with more because they are my expensive chicks. Shhh, don't tell the others

Bad pic of the two from this morning. My mother is on her way to Portland driving the county van, so I can't steal her phone for better pics.

So cute.

So I'm up to 19 babies so far, with maybe 25 more eggs in the incubator (I just counted them, too, then forgot what the number was. One from Renee the Delaware, 7 from Evelyn the d'Uccle, and 11 between Adria and Gabrielle the Silkies (one bearded, one not). The Cockerel is Leon, a banty Cochin.

Renee is about 9 1/2 months old, Leon and Evelyn are about 8 months old, and Adria and Gabrielle are about 7 months old.

Adria is trying to hatch a rock egg right now, so just for the fun of it I put the oldest black baby under her (almost two weeks old). She instantly accepted it, but it's far too cold outside to leave the poor little thing out there (teens during the day, negative teens during the night), so I took it back after just a couple minutes. Well, it wasn't entirely just for the fun of it. I was also seeing how she would react to it, because I would like to keep one of the black babies. I'll just have to make sure it's a walnut combed baby and not a straight combed one (personal preference).

actually no I didn't have a great hatch rate 4 out of 12
2 tiny calls.... "Butter" and "Ebony...Ebony is a boy
1 dwarf call...."Bonnie" another boy
and a chocolate bibbed..."coco" my baby but she's a tad bigger than the others...not much
:love

All the more reason to cherish the babies that did hatch! Do you use a homemade incubator or a store bought? I'm always curious to know what is working for people. My incubator is homemade and I'm pretty proud of it. I will be even more proud come hatch day! (Hopefully) =)

Back
Top Bottom