November Hatch-a-long...

Pics
I have space as well but what do you put on the floor and how do you clean it?? My barn has cement, so I cannot put the wood shavings directly on the cement. I was thinking about layers of styrofoam and then wood shavings on the top.. but again, cleaning?
You can seal the cement or you can maybe put a flooring down. I was going to do tile flooring with a drain. I think there are a lot of ways you can do it.

I have space as well but what do you put on the floor and how do you clean it?? My barn has cement, so I cannot put the wood shavings directly on the cement. I was thinking about layers of styrofoam and then wood shavings on the top.. but again, cleaning?
I put wood shaving right on ciment floor . first I put a thick layer few inches thick ,than I keep adding to it .the floor usuly stay clean and dry ,because is protected by the bedding .
i just map the floor with bleach and let it dry .never had a problems .
chooks man

I see.. thank you. I tried the 'adding on the top' method but at 3 weeks the stink/smell was unbearable so I had to clean the whole thing and put a brand new layer of shavings. So I am hesitant to continue this way. Cement keeps very cold, so I do need a heating insulation that's why I was considering styrofoam.

I see.. thank you. I tried the 'adding on the top' method but at 3 weeks the stink/smell was unbearable so I had to clean the whole thing and put a brand new layer of shavings. So I am hesitant to continue this way. Cement keeps very cold, so I do need a heating insulation that's why I was considering styrofoam.

here is Oz is very hot and dry . so my method work well .if you are in more humid area or wet than changing it is more apropriate . I think .
there is many way of doing thing .and also what available .some people use rice husk , some use other thing .

as long as it stay dry and free from any smell ,than is good
chooks man

I found the chooks love styrofoam ,so I like to keep it away from them as much as I can .guess if it is under the bedding they will never know .

chooks man

Pipping turned out to be false alarm :hmm I've got the egg on lockdown though, and it has good movement, so here's hoping!

Yay! Another horse person! Arabian people really outcross to Hackney's? I though they wouldn't do that because of the small size...

Good luck on the moving egg! :) And yes - I do see a Hackney cross pop up every so often. Not like the ASB's. But, Arab people are suckers for flashy movement, so, they'd cross to a giraffe if they thought they'd get the knee action they wanted. I've been considering a Hackney cross myself. I'd like to have a half-Arab out of my mare someday, but, some of the National Show Horses I've met have just been complete wingbats!

We candled our eggs last night (day 7), there are 10 eggs in the incubator, 1 possible dud, 2 that we aren't sure about, and then 7 that are looking good. I'm worried about 1 or 2 of the air cells but for the most part they seems good. I was expecting more duds since this is my first hatch and I am still unsure about some things but I was happily surprised!

We candled our eggs last night (day 7), there are 10 eggs in the incubator, 1 possible dud, 2 that we aren't sure about, and then 7 that are looking good. I'm worried about 1 or 2 of the air cells but for the most part they seems good. I was expecting more duds since this is my first hatch and I am still unsure about some things but I was happily surprised!
This is my first hatch too. Candling on Friday - day 7. How easy was it to tell which were duds and which weren't?

This is my first hatch too. Candling on Friday - day 7. How easy was it to tell which were duds and which weren't?
It was pretty easy for the most part. We are hatching BBS Ameracaunas so the eggs were a light blue that was easy to see through. Basically you shold be able to see the veins and the air sac. If you are doing darker eggs it will be more difficult. They usually look like this (I got it off the internet):

upload_2019-11-6_10-7-22.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom