November hatch-a-long

Pics
The mom looks like this, the dad is a mystery! My friend gave them to me with the silkie eggs as a surprise...my first time incubating. She guided me through the process :D

View attachment 2400673

ALSO! Exciting news the remainder of the eggs hatched :D Lost one out of the 8 I put into lockdown...haven't seen movement out of it and the egg looks blood covered on inside :( Is it possible the chick itself did something to cause all that blood? It didn't pip or anything.

On a happier note, here is the last two babies. Easter egger #2 and Silkie #5View attachment 2400685

The chick could have pipped a vein if there is a lot of blood in the egg. Otherwise it could have been malpositioned and not in a position to be able to pip.

The eggs I thought I might have aren't laid yet :( so I'm setting five Cream Legbar eggs in the mini Brinsea tomorrow.... to stay in practice... and because I know once I have one incubator going, and only have one other mini available, the hens and rooster I'm waiting on, for the eggs I'm waiting for, may become inspired and get to work :) because I'll only have one mini Brinsea available AND that will make me HAVE to get another Brinsea. This is how my brain works. I just follow along. I just hatched 6 little ones today for the Halloween hatch so my practice sessions are going very well. :yesss:
Chicken math with variables..... chicken algebra!

Chickaletta has gone broody again so today I picked her up from the nest box and put her in her own coop set with 11 of my own eggs (mostly hers) I had sitting on my bench (hopefully fertile but I guess I'll find out in 10 days when I candle)
She near flew out of my hands when she saw the nest of eggs I set for her! I put her down beside the nest and straight away she tucked them in under her and sat. My gorgeous 6 yr old silkie is the best mumma hen, I love watching her with chicks in tow! :love:jumpy
Not sure about 11 eggs though she covered them fine it looked like, the most I have put under her is 8 and she hatched them all, as she has with all her hatches.
View attachment 2383888
So... I will not be recommending anyone hatch from pullet eggs after my experience this year!! (last year no problem hatching with my hen and roo) After my previous posts I said she was down to 9 eggs, others yolkers, I have candled again today and she is down to 7 looking good... Other 2 had dead chicks inside :hit.. See pics... Also I just had 2 pullets go broody but I decided not to set their pullet eggs so they are in broody jail, Roo hardly leaves their side..1 laid an egg in the cage I felt so bad! A caged egg! I would never buy caged eggs from supermarket!! Horrible! ..another day till I can let them out :(
IMG20201107101851.jpg
IMG20201107102413.jpg
IMG20201107102220.jpg
IMG20201107100601.jpg

Well, I candled the eggs I put under Pippa last week this morning (would be day 6-ish). I didn't see any definitive development. I'll give her another week, just in case they are viable, but I'm not optimistic. Guess I'll have to decide whether to try to break her or hunt down some chicks at that point.

Back
Top Bottom