Now Hens have stopped laying

newchickfl

Songster
Jan 16, 2015
Florida
I have had a few issues with my flock the last few weeks - I've had a sudden death - than my EE that was lethargic and had green poop, than my white cochin that was just starting to become lethargic - I have wormed the whole flock and also given corid and also separate antibiotics to just the EE. they are fine now and I am giving vitamins and electrolytes currently for a few days just to give them a boost - my two that were still laying (Buff orp and Cream Legbar) have suddenly stopped within the last few days and have no signs of sickness - not sure why.......could it be all the above has just now had an affect on them?
Thank You

Could be stress from illness and treatments.
If they are around 18 months old, give or take a couple months, they could indeed be getting ready or starting to molt. Molting does not always produce lots of feathers all over all at once, some birds molt slower.

There's probably an egg withdrawal, or should be, after the antibiotics and wormer anyway.

One of them is right around 18 months - the other is about 8 months and the rest are around 5-6 months - but what you said does make sense.....that is alot to go through in such a short time so I am sure there is some stress going on. I planned on the egg withdrawal on my end just not on their end....that is why I was asking just concerned about them. thank you for the input, it helped ease my mind.

I have been looking and so far no
Might need to lock them up to be sure..... and/or check vents and pelvic points.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Vent:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom