1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now I have been initiated by my rooster..........................

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mourningdove, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hello all, I have been reading all the post on rooster behaviors and how to deal with them. Though I have never thought any of it was
    funny, I did however thank my lucky stars that I didn't have that
    problem. Well today the joke was on me...when I went out to feed
    this morning as I was leaving the pen I felt something hit the back of my right calf, I turned around and see my big RIR mix Rudy coming back at me. Now I know what everyone is talking about and see the
    aggrivation of it, now I know what I am suppose to do if this should occur but my reflexes wasn't with it that early I guess, I had the feed scoop in my right hand and taped his left shoulder while shooing him away saying NO to him, darn it if he didn't trying to come back at me again, so I repeated the tap and shooing of him saying no way buster and then he finally walked away.
    Do any of you think he got the point? This is the roo I raised and he ate from my hand. If he try's this again tonight he will get a royal
    chewing out [​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Make sure you teach him that you are the top bird. Everytime he goes after you pick him up and carry him around like a football. You might have to do this a couple of weeks and hopefully he gets the point.

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Seriously, pick him up and carry him around. Grab his comb and shake, grab his wattles and shake. Don't put him down until he is willing to calmly walk away. It works!

5. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    did i say that my roo mounted my hens for the 1st time!
    but aftar that MAN did he think he WAS THE BOSS!!!!
    he started watching me and when i moved my finger he watched every move.
    YIKES!!!!!!

6. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I would gladly do all that you have suggested but my problem is in catching him, he has never let me catch him.

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My biggest roo just started to do the same thing to me...I figured he had just been "cooped" up too long. He is huge, I'm not sure I want to pick him up and carry him around any more. He will still eat out of my hand and he hasn't attacked me. Is there something else you can do besides carry them around?

8. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:i normally act like I'm just walking by and snatch a chicken up as i go. lol that always gets them but if it dosn't teas him with corn [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Can you lock him in the coop at night and catch him in the morning? I can catch mine easily in the coop. Maybe even lure him into the coop with treats and then chase him down. Work with him each morning in the coop if you can.

Also, you if you can get your hands on a poultry hook you will be able to catch him. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one.

10. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I have a Barred Rock rooster meaner than any pit bull. Something about my hunters orange jacket drives him insane everytime he sees me with that coat he runs right at me wanting to get in my business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by