Now I have to LOCK the coop and run...

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
sad.png
How sad is it that while my girls are protected against racoons, possums, bears, cats, dogs and such, (including a frustrated red tail hawk that sits in a tree and voices it's anger at not being able to get a free meal), I now have to put padlocks on the coop and run gates to keep a homeless (?) man from stealing eggs or a hen.
barnie.gif

A couple of weeks ago, a man was spotted living in the park across the road from where we live. The sheriff has come by twice to pick this man up and taken him to the a local shelter, but he returns a day or two later.
Since he was first seen, my neighbor's house was broken into (in the day time) and her jewelry was stolen.
A few days ago, another neighbor came home and found that someone had smashed the door knob on her door, but couldn't get past the deadbolt.
We're now locking the car doors, garage and sheds. I've even purchased and put in locks at my studio (old barn conversion).
But I am just blown away that I also have to padlock the chickens and remember to take the key out with me to feed them. No more just walking in to sit and visit with them unless I remember to carry the key with me always. (Yeah, me and keys
roll.png
, if I had a dollar for every key I've lost I'd be a zillionaire).
I am bummed. What a very sad world we are living in....
hit.gif

Yes, it is, indeed, a sad world when there are people who are homeless.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd jump at the finger to accuse that one man of all the troubles of theft, attempted theft and break-ins in your neighborhood.

Did you happen to see this man in your hen house? Maybe he just enjoys sitting in the park like people do when they are NOT homeless, ya think?

My intial worries wouldn't be my chickens...please take care! Some homeless folks suffer from mental disorder, not just destitution. That's why they don't usually stay in the shelters for long.

marylouiseau ,No, I didn't see him in the hen house.
I certainly don't think he is sleeping in the open park shelter because he is enjoying the freezing cold weather. "Ya think?"
Coinsidence that the break-ins began after he showed up? Possible. Proof that it's him? None.
Am I heartless? NO. My neighbor and I dropped off a wool blanket, 2 pairs of wool socks and a bag of apples at the park for the guy yesterday.
I shouldn't lock things down to keep what I am working for from being stolen? "Ya think?"

Last edited:
mudhen,

I feel for ya dear!
hugs.gif

We have locks on our coops and runs also, after learning about our land lady's theivin' grandson. We figured if he'll steal calves and her purse from her, he wouldn't think twice about stealing from us.

I, too, suffered from lost/misplaced keys until I got one of these key-rings (under $2.00 from WalMart, Lowes, the Dollar Store):

P6255743.jpg

Easy to put on your wrist or in a pocket and if I set them on the ground, you can't miss that blazing green!

Stay safe!

Dawn

I had to get the retractable thing that goes on your hip...sort of works like a tape measure in how it retracts...it has a key ring on one end and a clip on the other to hook it to a belt loop or whatever. if i set the keys down they immediatley retract back to my hip. No more losing them...till i lose this doohickey. Got it at walmart.

Sorry you are at the point where ya gotta make your coop and run into ft knox. I too fear it's gonna get worse before it gets better. It's scary that door knobs and homes have been busted into. Stay safe!

Last edited:
bluey and Zookeeper9000 , you are both right.
That is what is so sad about it. I know its happening everywhere, and its just heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom