Now she's quacking at night..

My ducks are always rowdy and don’t seem to really sleep At night. They do nap. Someone’s always watching and quaking in the duck house at night. Yes, they do mate at night too. Only my chickens are quiet in the coop all night.

My ducks are always rowdy and don’t seem to really sleep At night. They do nap. Someone’s always watching and quaking in the duck house at night. Yes, they do mate at night too. Only my chickens are quiet in the coop all night.
Ducks don't sleep all night like a Chicken. They are up at all times over a 24 hour period and sleep when tired.

I'm going to agree here.
OP is acting like the drake is a vicious crazy duck killer. I highly doubt this. I also believe OP may be over reacting. Ducks are way different than chickens, OP.
Well not crazy..Just treating them other than Ducks that they are. Definitely a different species than chickens....

Duchess won't stop quacking at night. I'm getting tired of going out to see what's wrong only to find out there's nothing there.
My parents are getting angry and said we'll get rid of her if she doesn't shut up at night.
Before anyone tells me, NO there are no predators at all! Our dogs haven't detected any stupid animals in our yard at all.
Our duck is just quacking for no reason at all and I'm starting to get angry as it means our neighbors may complain and we currently have a good relationship with our neighbors about our flock.

I know many of you are going to suggest that there is a predator sneaking around but there isn't. Our amazing dogs would alert us to any if there were so we know that there aren't.
My ducks get riled up over light shining in their coop... it’s their number 1 beef. Maybe headlights from a car? Not sure how close to your neighbors you are or a road

It’s not that we don’t care that Colonel might hurt her, just duck sex is rough business. If you see skin raw or open then yes she needs to be separated. Has she laid an egg yet? If you see skin period then time for drake jail. Once feathers are gone skin will be next to grab.
I understand your concern maybe try this approach find an inexpensive mirror one you can attach to the wall of the coop so it doesn't fall on anyone, put it at the level Duchess can see herself maybe that will give her some comfort. You never know what may help till you try.

Oh, another thought, if you leave the female alone, like with ducklings, you could try giving her some sort of stuffed animal to snuggle up with.

I also agree that my ducks like to party after dark. They tend to be quieter if I lock them in their house at night, but often in the summer I let them stay out in their secure pen and they can certainly make some noise at night. They don't just sleep the way my chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom