now that rooster is gone will hens laay less eggs

eggbudd

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Now that my rooster is going to be chicken noodle soup, will this affect the amount of eggs my hens are laying?

If the roo was a problem for the hens, they should lay more. I had too many for a few weeks; when we finally got around to doing something about it, egg production went up noticeably.

Chicken love.
lau.gif
If he was an extremely aggressive breeder, the hens may lay even more eggs now that they are being less stressed. Edited to add: I seriously doubt that they will need psychological counseling because of their lost "love'.

Last edited:
It took my girls two days to get over the roo leaving!LOL He was aggressive and down right mean.. Two girls had started to hide from the flock or anywhere the roo was, every two minutes one of the girls was screaming and running madly thru the yard... He ended up killing one of my pullets and flogging my dh and grandson..

Two days after he was gone--the girls were laying better, all of them started paying more attention to ME, they became more calm, 'chatting' softly while scratching and dust bathing... NOT one scream for days.. I started to enjoy being out with them... It's been a yr and I don't think I will ever own a standard roo again.. I have to admit--I really miss the crowing.. He was beautiful and had a really nice crow...

Back
Top Bottom