Now that the H1N1 Vaccine has been approved...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by augustmomx2, Sep 16, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm sure you all are being bombarded with endless info in regards to the H1N1 (aka swine) flu. I work at our county health department and we are constantly getting updates in regards to: symptoms, prevention, etc. Now that the flu vaccine has been approved, what do you think about it?

Personally, I'm not sure what to think. My family and I (although I have asthma) do not get the flu vaccine. I have in the past, one time got super-sick the other time, I was fine. My kids have never received it.

Now though, they keep warning us how the H1N1 targets children/young adults, instead of the usual at-risk groups. I'm not anti-vaccine, as my kids have received all the "usual" vaccinations. I am, however, a little hesitant about a brand-new vaccination. I am hesitant about a "brand-new" anything, whether it be a car just released onto the market or a dishwasher. I think things need time to "work the bugs out."

I work with the public a lot (a group of individuals who are not concerned about hygiene, if you get my drift) & I'm not sure if I should be vaccinated to protect my family or not [​IMG]

What do you guys think? What are your opinions on the vaccine?

PS. This is not meant to spark a vaccination debate [​IMG]

2. luvinmynewchicks

luvinmynewchicks New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Dealing with the public you are at greater risk so I guess you'll have to make that decision about whether or not you want to get it. I personally do not plan on it. We seldom go anywhere and my kids are homeschooled. If and when we do, we'll take the usual precautions....hand sanitizer, staying away from very congested areas like the mall, not eating out etc. I am also planning on stocking up on TTO, Thieves EO and plenty of vinegar for germ killing around here. [​IMG]
    I'm just not that confident in receiving something for myself or my kids that hasn't been around long enough so we know the long term effects. We may get the regular flu shot as we have done in the past, but not the H1N1.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    [​IMG]

4. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    My family won't be getting the vaccines, they may have been approved but the have not been tested. My family isn't going to be their guinea pig.

Besides my husband had it (someone from work came to work with it [​IMG] ) and now I have it. [​IMG]

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:[​IMG]

Typically, I get the flu shot every year. It was always "required" at our house with my mom having such a severe autoimmune disease. It is in the plans for our immediate family to get the H1N1 vaccine as well, for mom's sake. It's the way it is and the way it has always been for uor family.
    Also, working in the hospital puts me at a much greater risk, so yes, I will have it. Especially since my job if and when the pandemic hits will be to sit at the ER doors, check temps, vitals, do basic initial assessments, and hand out masks. [​IMG] NOT looking foreward to that let me tell ya!!!

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Same boat, I was going to get the vaccine later on this year, but I got it too. Been in my room since sunday to keep everyone else around here from getting it.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never get flu vaccinations and won't be getting this one, either.

8. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I think our family is going to hope and pray that the right decision is just to be cognizant of hand washing... perhaps we'll take some stock out in hand sanitizer this year? [​IMG]

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    Quote:thats funny:lol:

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    We don't take the regular flu shot and I don't think we will take this one either. They sure do try to scare you into it tho.
    I will call my Country Dr and ask him. He is super and I really trust his opinion. A no nonsence kind of guy. Once told me he took his dogs antibiotics. But then told me don't you ever do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by