Now, we have a 6 week old completely GONE

wrestling_mom

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Henderson County, NC
Now, in addition to what happened here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=567094
we have a chick completely gone. The young are in a separate coop type enclosure, made of heavy plywood sides, wood and wire floor, and a metal roof. The older birds are down below, on the ground, enclosed with wire. The ones that have died were in a completely different pen about 15 feet away. No rat trouble with this pen.
We have had a rat problem, with eggs disappearing, from the big pen in question now but never had anyone to disappear from the top without a trace. We have looked, and can't find anyholes or breaches. The only thing I can think of is at the very top, maybe a 1 or 2 inch space ahere the roof meets the wood frame. Could something get in and back out without causing a ruckus? We have heard no new noises at night.

barnie.gif
I didn't realize that those could climb back up a wall. We will fix that pronto!
Thanks for all of your help:)

without a trace

A weasel can't kill and eat a 6 week old bird and not leave lots of evidence

Sounds more like a 2-legged predator​

Last edited:
As in a person? That's kind of creepy, given what we went thru several weeks ago. ( A man was standing RIGHT outside our 14 yr old daughter's bedroom at 11 pm, and scared her so badly that we left for nearly a week while husband set up some outside security lights.) We don't live in a highly populated area, we have an acre and a half, but I guess someone could wander up in the night, but they are thirty feet or less from the house, wouldn't that cause a ruckus?

I was only answering what could go through a 1" opening. Not sure what actually took your chick, could have been a person, sure. We've seen lots of chicken theft lately, but why a person would take just one chick is odd to me, unless it was a kid.

If it was a Weasel every bird in the pen would have been dead. They don't stop killing 'till there's nothing left to kill.
To me, it seem unlikely that a person would have taken one 6 week old chick. Had it been a person I expect more than one would be gone.

Back
Top Bottom