NPIP - businesses only?

shedinator

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2016
I've seen a number of ads for chickens and turkeys which specified that folks with NPIP certification would be given preference, so I looked into it for the state of Connecticut. The state vet wrote me an email with a long list of requirements and two large attachments.

One of the requirements is to submit a business plan. I don't have a business plan. My birds and eggs are for me and my family to eat. We use surplus eggs to barter with local folks sometimes, but don't really sell them.

Is there any reason to get NPIP certified if I'm not looking to turn a profit?

If you want to show, it makes things much easier in that department. And technically it's illegal to ship birds or eggs if you are not NPIP, but that's never enforced. And NPIP people can only buy from other NPIP people if they're following the rules of the program, so being NPIP can open you up to more potential customers. But other than those reasons, there's no reason to be NPIP.

So if I only sell to other Minnesotans, I don't need to be npip certified? I just was hoping to hatch eggs and sell off extras not make a career out of it.

Back
Top Bottom