NPIP certification in Alabama...

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Hi! :frow
I’m looking into becoming NPIP, but really more for selling and shipping duck eggs. Maybe silkie chicken eggs as well. I’m aware with NPIP the whole flock has to be tested.... So, the link below says all adult birds must be tested. What about young Poultry?
http://www.agi.alabama.gov/docs/def...rovement-plan-(npip)BF1DBFCB10DD.pdf?sfvrsn=0

If anyone is willing to educate me on the process it’d be very much appreciated! :D

Btw, I have chickens, quail, ducks, and guineas- how will they manage to catch the guineas?? They won’t go into a coop no matter how hard I try, so basically they’d spend hours chasing them around 12+ Acres all day.

Thanks in advance,
~ Kayla

:DI'm npip in Alabama. Not much to it. They test at least 30 birds and tag their legs with a metal band. A drop of blood and then a qtip from the mouth and done. You have to catch your birds for them. I just dont let them out that day. Sorry I'm just now typing all this but I just joined. O and my fee was $10 by check. I'm here if you need me.:cool:

:DI'm npip in Alabama. Not much to it. They test at least 30 birds and tag their legs with a metal band. A drop of blood and then a qtip from the mouth and done. You have to catch your birds for them. I just dont let them out that day. Sorry I'm just now typing all this but I just joined. O and my fee was $10 by check. I'm here if you need me.:cool:

Great info! :welcome an asset already :highfive:

Being NPIP does mean diddly squat. You obtain a number that is used and a form you fill out as to quantities, type and so forth. My inspector signs a bunch of them each year for me. This is all you need. I put that form in with eggs shipped or hand it to the buyer of birds. It's not hard nor as paperwork burdensome as the list above suggest.

If you read all that fine print you'll note that what you get as NPIP participant allows you to ship to all states.

Your attachment doesnt open.

Had to reformat it.

Screenshot_20190606-160848_Gallery.jpg

Being NPIP does mean diddly squat. You obtain a number that is used and a form you fill out as to quantities, type and so forth. My inspector signs a bunch of them each year for me. This is all you need. I put that form in with eggs shipped or hand it to the buyer of birds. It's not hard nor as paperwork burdensome as the list above suggest.

If you read all that fine print you'll note that what you get as NPIP participant allows you to ship to all states.

You can not be more wrong in your statements when it comes to interstate shipping.

First unless your inspector is a liscensed veterinarian a valid health certificate can not be issued. The number you receive is unique and identified to what level of NPIP participation you have achieved. There are several layers in NPIP certification and each NPIP participant receives a unique number that identifies which layer the participant is certified at. NPIP starts at P/T testing and more involved from there. NPIP is strictly a voluntary program.

Try to ship poultry to a state that requires P/T testing a permit from the receiving state and a health certificate from a veterinarian. It doesnt matter if your NPIP or not if you dont have a permit from the state your shipping to or a health certificate from a liscensed vet, you shipment will be returned if the postal inspector knows what hes doing.

The requirements of each state are unique. If you are conducting interstate business there are no export requirements from the state you are in but the requirements for the receiving state must be met. There is no uniformity of NPIP requirements among states.

No where in the attached file for the fifty states does it require NPIP particiapation. That's because it is a voluntary participation program. This is why NPIP is a farce. In fact P/T testing is a joke. Unlike AI, PT is a vertically transmitted disease. From hen to chick. The last reported case was in 2004. If NPIP wasnt a farce we wouldn't be going on a year without a new run of P/T antigen. As a certified Texas inspector I would need to have my expired antigen recertified.

Hi! :frow
I’m looking into becoming NPIP, but really more for selling and shipping duck eggs. Maybe silkie chicken eggs as well. I’m aware with NPIP the whole flock has to be tested.... So, the link below says all adult birds must be tested. What about young Poultry?
http://www.agi.alabama.gov/docs/def...rovement-plan-(npip)BF1DBFCB10DD.pdf?sfvrsn=0

If anyone is willing to educate me on the process it’d be very much appreciated! :D

Btw, I have chickens, quail, ducks, and guineas- how will they manage to catch the guineas?? They won’t go into a coop no matter how hard I try, so basically they’d spend hours chasing them around 12+ Acres all day.

Thanks in advance,
~ Kayla

Here in LA they told me they didnt need to test my quail til theyd been over 3 months so even tho that was 2/3s of my numbers and only left 11 chickens thats what they wanted to do. In the case of the chickens theyd need to be 4 months.

On the guineas i have no idea im sorry.

Oh, thank you! So they don’t test all of the birds? Just 30 adults?

Back
Top Bottom