NPIP certification in WA

heahaa

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
I live right on the border of WA and OR (Wa side). It is difficult to be limited where we can sell our birds. I contacted WSDA about my interest in becoming certified. They sent me an application and some info but it was very vague. All I got out of the info packet was we can only purchase other NPIP birds, would be inspected and tested by a WSDA vet, need to keep records and follow all the rules. I need to know are there fees and how much. What are thier rules for my farm?

It is very intimidating. Just want to do everything right. She is the one I contacted thru that very link. She sent me the application. I will email her again with the specific questions.

I found them to be very serious about the goals and guidelines of the program but very helpful with questions.
In MO, every bird on the property over 3 months needs to be tested. I have to have mine tested this month. This will be my third year. I'm glad I did it.
I only do the basic P-T test so there are some states I can't ship to that require flocks certified AI clean.
P-T is free here but other tests have an additional charge. The reason I didn't do AI is if they come back with antibodies in 2 successive tests, the entire flock will be euthanized. With extremely rare birds that can't be replaced, I didn't want to take the chance that my immune flock would be destroyed.

I will certainly need to ask about the AI for Oregon sales. I don't have expensive birds but am quite attached and certainly have favorites. Not to mention what an expense to build back up. Bourbon Red Turkeys and an eclectic flock of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom