NPIP certification...... Info please?

cowgirlup07

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Comanche, Oklahoma
I've been seeing a lot on NPIP flock certification while I'm looking for stock and hatching eggs. I'm new to all this, why have my flock certified and do I have to register as a hatchery too since I hatch my own babies? I do sell some chicks when I have too many of a certain kind but I don't sell regularly.

I've been seeing a lot on NPIP flock certification while I'm looking for stock and hatching eggs. I'm new to all this, why have my flock certified and do I have to register as a hatchery too since I hatch my own babies? I do sell some chicks when I have too many of a certain kind but I don't sell regularly.
Hi,
frow.gif

Nope, Nope and Nope. NPIP is voluntary. Only problem might be if you wanted to ship birds of any age to a State which requires you to be an NPIP shipper of origin. Then you can sell them eggs instead ( no NPIP requirement for hatching eggs that I know of in the USA) . No need to reg. as a hatchery. it's not like dogs or cats. Just sell to whomever you want.
Welcome to the wonderful world of poultry!
Best,
Karen
NPIP was originated by the government as a way to help keep flocks healthy and prevent the spread of poultry diseases. Here in PA I checked on it and was told not to bother. The Commonwealth has added so many additional regulations to the original NPIP program here in PA it's just too much time, expense and paperwork to make it feasible for most. So I don't bother. I do believe that you can get an USDA certificate of health from a vet if you want to ship to an NPIP shipper of origin State and that will work. Look that up here on BYC and at State websites for specific regs for each State.

Last edited:
NPIP is a national program where the federal government encourages each state to participate by providing money. 48 out of the 50 states do participate, including Oklahoma. The other two states have requirements much beyond NPIP so they don’t participate. The main purpose of the NPIP program was to fight Pullorum. It used to be a very common disease but is now pretty rare in chickens. It’s a little more likely in other fowl species. It’s one federal program that worked. Arkansas has been declared Pullorum free. I don’t know about Oklahoma.

The Federal government cannot regulate what happens inside each state in regard to this but can only regulate what happens in business between states. That’s why each state has their own program and they all vary. Most states are going to require hatching eggs or chicks shipped in from other states to be NPIP certified and sometimes add additional requirements. What they require for shipping or selling inside the state is up to the state. The post office is not a police force. My understanding is that they do not check for NPIP certification to ship eggs and chicks.

Pullorum can be spread by hatching eggs. Check it out 3RiversChick. It’s an easy Google. Pullorum is one of the very few that can be spread by hatching eggs.

Each state can add to the basic Federal NPIP requirements so you need to check with your state to see what’s included. An avian flu check is required in many states but not all. Some states want checks for other diseases too. Each state manages it differently. In Arkansas they hold classes two times a year where you can learn to be a tester. Then you can certify your flock or anyone else’s flock as NPIP. I have no idea how Oklahoma handles it.

If you want to ship hatching eggs or chicks to another state and be legal, you need to be NPIP certified. Most chicken shows will require the flocks to be NPIP before they can be shown, plus might have additional medical testing requirements. NPIP is voluntary from a government viewpoint as long as you don’t ship interstate. Even then you are not likely to be caught. But it has been so successful because enough people have volunteered. Any major hatchery will be NPIP Certified. They’d be out of business pretty quickly if they started selling infected chicks.

Hi not sure about how hard it is in Ok. but in louisiana I called my local ag. Extension made an appointment a week later had 24 birds tested as clean for several diseases including AI salmonella pullorium, didnt cost me anything! Since I am on a migratory bird path. Only had to keep my birds in the coop and the tester decided who to test as they came out at 9am insted of the normal 8 am. Was no big deal :) Also you can register using your name or the name of your farm forced us to decide on BFF-best friend farm :) good luck

Hey there!

The others have had good info so far. It's not a bad program and has been quite useful in tracking and stamping out disease outbreaks. Some backyard owners find it too much of a hassle and decide not to participate. It's totally voluntary and usually no cost to the owner, however there are some restrictions (I believe) about who you can buy from to keep the NPIP status. Your best bet is to call up your local county extension office and pick their brains. I do think the program encourages good biosecurity habits, so I rather like it. If you are going to be shipping a lot of birds and eggs, it's worth having I think (and the law in some states may require it for shipping).

Back
Top Bottom