NPIP certification

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
I plan on starting to ship both native birds and their eggs this year, and want to do it legally by getting NPIP certified. To my understanding, getting certified differs state to state, but most are similar. I live in Virginia, so someone with info in VA would be preferred, but I am open to hear from anyone in the US.

Basically I'm just wondering what's involved in the process, testing, do I send samples or does someone come collect them, etc. Thanks in advance

Im in KY and we simply called and a lady came out and theres a percentage of your birds she has to test she swabs the mouth of about twenty or less if you dont have many but she stopped at twenty and she pricks the skin right under the wing gets a drop of blood and rubs it on her testing board mixed with some chemical if the blood turns into a sand you fail if it stays liquid form you pass i have about 200+ birds she tested about 125 and all passed so no need to continue and must do it every year...

Here in Illinois someone comes out and tests the first time and then you can become certified yourself to test a percentage of your flock every year to keep it up to date. Check with your state's Department of Agriculture. They should be able to give you information on how your state handles it.

Back
Top Bottom