NPIP question

blueberrychickens

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Hudson, MA
What does it take to become NPIP certified??? Is it something that needs to be done every year? I have the state vet coming out on Tues to take blood samples & whatever else they do to the flock. I'm assuming that if the girls all pass the blood test, then they are certified??? Or is there more to it than just that?

Thanks!

In some states the testing is free. You do have to do it every year. I had a state certified tester come out to our house. She did all the paper work and now we are certified. I had all my chickens in cages, so it was easier to test them and you don't have to chase anyone around to catch them.

NPIP is very cheap here in Oklahoma, It costs $5 a year for a state tester to test my whole flock. They do a blood test on all of your birds and then an oral swab on a percentage of them. It is a very easy process that doesn't take along time. This is my first year being NPIP and bad part about it is that you are required to purchase from a NPIP source. If you do not follow that guideline after being tested they will not allow you to participate in the NPIP program. When you get certified make sure to get a copy of the state issued certificates from the people that you buy from. What kind and how many chickens do you have?

Nate

Here in MA, testing is a free service. She came out this am & did the test, it was very easy, I think it was harder on me than on the girls. I have 8 hens, 2 BO, 2 EE, 3 GLW, & 1 Aussie. The girls got extra worms this am for being cooped up for the am & for having to go thru the test. One of my GLW is molting so badly, I thought she would be naked by the end of the test! Feathers were everywhere!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom