NPIP ????'s new question :-)

What I understand is, that real hatcheries, egg and meat supplies have to follow the rules exactly as by given by the Feds.

Private or backyard breeders, the State has some discresion (sp) to alter the rules a bit.

Try to keep them locked up in the hen house,are birds are pretty tame,but when they stick the first bird and it sounds like it is being killed.Let me just say tame bird or not you are going to have fun catching them from that point on.Those birds that could never fly over the pens fence,they can now,and I mean more then just one of them.All I can remember is they did one test on site and sent the other one into the lab to be tested and in about 2 to 3 weeks if everything went good you get your number.You will have to fill out paper work and pay,but I do not remember anything being a pain beside,catching the chickens.

I haven't read all of the replies, but this is what happened for me:

first off- In ky, it is completely free to test

Keep your chickens put up (they don't want to chase them when they're there to test)

Have electricity readily availabe (extension cord if you don't have electric in the coop). They have to plug in their light box.

Coops must be clean

Effective rodent control (I use PVC pipes in the letter "T" shape and drop rat bait in the middle of it(that way chickens can't eat it)

It was a very easy and laid back procedure (my tester was wonderful). Not a big deal. Good luck. I don't know about incubators because I was not hatching at the time.

Any questions, you can PM me.

Another question
wink.png
I recently decided to sell my turkey flock. They free range and have been terrorizing my poor dogs. I put all 8 birds up in a chain link dog kennel the other day when 1 tom started bouncing at my 3 year old son instead of the dog. I started thinking today (dangerous), that the only way they can get out of my garden fence is to go over the section that is portable horse panels. When they are in the 4' field fence, they pace, cry and wait to be rescued.

*If* I decide to fence off a section of the garden for the birds, can my turkeys (by NPIP standards), be in the same pen as my mixed flock of layers or do they have to have their own seperate pen? They are used to being together, roosting together, etc, so there shouldn't be any problems there. If I can keep them together, I might be able to keep my goofy turkeys that we love so much
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom