1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

At the Basket Show in Farmington, ME I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to watch how they NPIP test birds.
    First there is a light box with a grid of glass (I think) over the light, then they put a purpleish solution on the glass, you turn your hen upside down and the man picks the vein under then hens wing. Drop of blood goes on the grid with a drop of solution, stirs it around and times it. If it comes out clear, you are NPIP negative (good thing) if it comes out
    'grainy", then you take your bird directly out of the area with where other birds are. (of course dust can alter this test so don't go off the deep end quickly if it does come out positive)
    This old timer that was doing the tests says in all the years that he has given this test, he only had to send blood to the State of Maine for further testing a few times and only one had been positive.
    Here is a link http://www.clemson.edu/LPH/npip.htm and of course you can learn more about it by searching NPIP on the world wide web.

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Very helpful information, spook! Thank you for sharing.

Jen in TN

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats cool.

I am going to get all my birds tested in a few months.

I have to wait until all my poultry are at least 4 weeks old though.

4. spook

Why did I think they had to be 4 months? hmmmm...not that I doubt you, but someone I thought said 4 months.

5. lowcountrypoultry

I don't know, maybe she made a mistake.

Dr. Julie Helm NPIP leader for SC emailed me saying 4 weeks.

Whtever the case, getting them tested is the important part. lol

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It IS 4 months old. Every chicken 4 months or over needs to be tested.

7. brahma-momma

brahma-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    You can buy the pullorum testing unit and antigen stain through murray mcmurray. its not cheap but it would pay off if you had alot to test

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Here in NY they test for free.

9. lowcountrypoultry

I think it's free testing here too,
    It IS 4 months old. Every chicken 4 months or over needs to be tested

Thats how old they have to be to get tested?

I was talking about the earliest you can get them tested is 4 weeks​

10. spook

Interesting to see that some places are free and the tester that I saw is $10. But then again, that isn't a whole lot as long as you test as they grow, or new ones you buy. I had never actually heard of this until recently and online through here. This site has truly opened my eyes to a lot of things I was oblivious to. (Thanks BYC)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by