Nuances of my hatching experience- male vs female

NicholeT

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Rubicon, WI
Almost day 22 and I have had 10 successfully hatch out of 22 black sex link eggs in the Nurture right 360. Of the 12 left there are no pips but I had real issues candling because the eggs were brown so its very likely several were just not viable but I'll leave them be for another day or so to see what happens.

Some of my observations- out of the 10 that hatched- the first ones to hatch were the cockerels, one was early and the rest followed right after. I was getting worried I would end up with all males! Then slowly but surely the rest of the hatches were female and noticeably different. Slower to hatch, smaller and not as fluffy. Anyone else notice this?

In fact, all of the pullets are kinda crusty from the membrane still- particularly on their backs all matted down and stuck to them- should I be trying to clean this off somehow? I have left them alone thinking nature will take its course but I'm curious what others have done. Will it eventually fluff up or is something wrong? Thanks!

Attachments

• Female.jpg
    Female.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You can gently clean it off with warm water and a soft rag or paper towel, then pop them back under their heat source to dry off.

I'm curious though --- Are they a sex-linked breed? If not, I've never heard of sexing chicks at hatch by their size, speed of hatching, or condition of their down - only by vent sexing or sometimes rows of wing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom